High school boy needs assistance

Scott_J

You think life sucks, eh. I work at one of the local northend schools. There is a real nice black kid here that I met a few years back. His dad does not take any part in his life, his mom just died and his sister, who was to be kinda watching after him, burned the family dwelling down during one of her runs...You think you have it bad? Fuck, this kid is a nice guy about 16 or so and on his own. Some friends are lookin' after him, but how far does that shit go...I only wish I was independently wealthy. This is a kid worth doing stuff for to save his ass. Ya, we are powerless, but I will try doing something...giving out information to the school and see what they can do. But I am afraid I know the answer...

JUST SO NO ONE THINKS THIS IS MY USUAL SPRAY...ITS NOT THIS IS A REAL KID AND ITS A REAL SITUATION. I AM EDITING THIS BECAUSE OF MY REP AS A SPRAYER.

OK, here is the rest of the story: If you can help & and at this point in time I have no idea what kind of help we are talking about but taking the kid out to hike, fish, ski, intro to climbing, hell I don't know, tutoring, Christmas and Thanksgiving is coming up etc. PM me and I'll send you the high school counselor telephone numbers etc. This lad is 16 so a lot of legal issues arise here. But nonetheless he needs some type of help, and I am sure the school direct that asistance.

Scott

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Necronomicon said:

The sad things is there are LITERALLY MILLIONS of kids just like this one in almost every school district in the country. How do you help them all?

you don't even try to help them all.. you pick one or two and do the best you can, and hope that other groups are doing the same.

Necronomicon said:

The sad things is there are LITERALLY MILLIONS of kids just like this one in almost every school district in the country. How do you help them all?

sadly you're right. unfortunately i'm not a nice enough person to try and help them all. in this one case, one kid has affected one person enough that he's trying to help. it's small but it's all i'm up for...trying to help one kid who has a raw deal handed to him.

Edited by minx

Necronomicon said:

Necro you know me and I know you, so it’s not like we are anonymous, but yes you are correct. There are a lot of kids in need. I have helped a few over the years, I have cried over a few, I have seen terrible things done to kids and moms by men...BUT here is a chance to help again and I hope that the lad can get some type of help. I don't know much at this point but my scheming Finn Lander brain is working. Legal issues are coming to head...he could probably use some legal help so he can get his SS from his mother that is being siphoned, he probably could use advice on a ton of things to prepare him for going on and becoming an educated person with a vision in life. But for now it’s a matter of survival. If there are spelling errors I don't care at this point just go with the flow

sisu

we are a large group. If we can get enough people motivated hear, we could realy give this kid the hand up that sisu says he desurves. I for one have been helped out enough time that I could do somepaying back. Where do we start?? Fund raiser anyone??

lummox said:

people need facetime not money (though that aint bad exactly). id throw down some dead presidents to get the kid emancipated and in a bitchin home for a couple years. but i aint given money away to make myself feel better. struth.

what he prolly realy needs is a GREAT FOSTER HOME. I wish I could but I can barley keep my kids in food and clothes. as I said before.. I will do what I can.

we have this holiday giving thing at work. i'm sure a lot of you do. there's a card w/christmas wish of some anonymous kid. i don't mind this type of charity at all.

BUT in this case, there's an opportunity to help someone who is a part of Sisu's life in a small way. I don't have a lot of extra money to help but I have a little and I can probably survive quite nicely w/one less cam this year. I also have time and a few skills. Maybe I can help. Maybe the group of us can help in a more substantial way in a combined effort.

I don't know about any of the rest of you but at a specific time in my life, a small amount of kindness from a few strangers made a big difference. It directly affected the outcome of a tough situation. Indirectly, it kept my spirits up enough to keep me away from the edge of the rough of a tall building.

Instead of helping someone totally anonymous, this is an opportunity to help a specific person with particular problems. Maybe the kid could use something as simple as a ride to some appointment or maybe you can help with the more complicated legal issues.

Necronomicon said:

I am certainly not suggesting that we SHOULDN'T help this kid in his time of need.

The best way to help them all is with your vote. Vote for tax increases that support public education. Vote for progressive, socially conscious leaders that support education over big bussiness.

Get invloved with your schools. Support your teachers. Elect educated and progressive school board members.

The main reason why this kids life is so fucked up is because he has ignorant parents, and the reason why his parents are so ignorant is because they did not get a good education.

Yeah, the bad thing is you don't know if your best efforts will have good results. Guess you just have to take the chance and hope for the best.

I came across some info somewhere once that said that successful people were either 1) raised with almost limitless opportunity (education, social background) or 2) raised in adverse conditions (lack of education, e.g.).

The first situation should be a no-brainer, early intellectual stimulation during development and continued support throughout life. The latter situation, however, appears to have given the person something more substantial, a drive to succeed.

I hear a lot that many of today's kids (and adults for that matter) have a sense of entitlement and that accounts for the deadbeats and the mediocre.

Edited by scrambler

lummox said:

people need facetime not money (though that aint bad exactly). id throw down some dead presidents to get the kid emancipated and in a bitchin home for a couple years. but i aint given money away to make myself feel better. struth.

Lummox, that is why I said, OK, here is the rest of the story: If you can help & and at this point in time I have no idea what kind of help we are talking about but taking the kid out to hike, fish, ski, intro to climbing, hell I don't know, tutoring, Christmas and Thanksgiving is coming up etc. PM me and I'll send you the high school counselor telephone numbers etc. This lad is 16 so a lot of legal issues arise here. But nonetheless he needs some type of help, and I am sure the school direct that asistance."

Foster home, legal issues etc all part of the things to come for this lad. He has a job Telemarketing after school to earn money. Anyway I need to go as I have class and he is in it, so off I go to do my duty...

I believe there are enough brains out there to help with this situation. I'll be that CC.comers can come up with a plan and a proposal to help or lead to help that the school district can use. My concern is that he is not a loser and he needs direction to keep him on the path.

He may be entitled to Social Security survivors benefits. If he was in Oregon I might be able to hook him up with some help. Are there no Washington attorneys here with connections to child advocacy sources? Try the Court Appointed Special Advocates program. At 16 he may be able to get emancipated and if he can qualify for survivors benefits if might go far in helping him land on his feet.

I'd open my home to him but I am in Portland. If he needs to get away from the great white north for a while bring him on down here and Ivan can test out his parenting skills.