Mailbox Peak TR

mvs

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stanton: you should have gone with Toast and me up Kaleetan if you were out today. Not too much snow up there but it was Brrrrrrrrrr! I'm guessing it was 15F up there but with a windchill making it feel like 0F. 4.5 hours up, 1/2 hour at summit, 3 hours down. Would have taken about a half-hour shorter going up but we wound up doing the 3Gs Route (as in Triple Gullies) when we could have stayed on the ridge crest bootpath the whole time rolleyes.gif. Melakwa Lake is beginning to freeze over. Chair Peak looked spectacular in these conditions. Saw lots of hints of ice climbing ice forming up on the hike in--particularly the first falls (the one below Snowshoe Falls).

Klenke, well I had to be at work by 10:30, Kaleetan might have felt a little bit far! I hiked up Kaleetan last November though, and I remember the West Face of Chair looked pretty alpine.

I didn't realize mailbox peak had become such a magnet for totems. Last time I was up there was just the mailbox and the green eggs and ham book.

Inspired by MVS's concise and provocative TR, I headed up Mailbox Peak on Friday. I woulda taken a picture of me on the "summit", but the splendor is captured well by the three photos already posted to this thread.

In an attempt to satisfy the Necro criteria for a good TR I will now present some useful beta:

Don't go, unless all you really require to satisfy your soul is a stiff though short workout and you don't have the time to do Si. The first half of the hike is thru that totally boring generic uniform second growth forest that we all know and love so well. After about 45 minutes, it breaks into some older trees and views open up of other clearcuts and I-90. But then after a bit of open ridge running, you reach the summit. As pictured, the top of this "peak" looks a pullout around Darrington or along the Middle Fork Road hellno3d.gifthumbs_down.gif. There was even a fucking palette up there! Woo Hoo!

Also, it's too cold and windy up there cry.gif.

Here's some more beta: If you do go, don't bring a bunch of stupid shit up there in the belief that people will think it's great!! Instead, if you need some ungainly weight in your pack, bring a case of beer bigdrink.gif. You know how people talk about training by carrying water up Mt. Si, then dumping the water on top to save their knees on the descent? Well, for Mailbox Peak all cool people bring a case of beer (bottles is best thumbs_up.gif). They then drink however much they want on top then stash any leftovers under the rotting couch or the shotgunned TV. Excellent training. Do a search for this in the Body Results Fitness Forum. You can leave the empties up there too. It will add to the "ambiance". Lots of people will think that's a cool funny joke.

moon.gif

Wow. hahaha.gif Getting pumped about this Mailbox Peak climb. Any Official Timers out there? I'm going to need you for my speed climb of Mailbox peak, alpine style of course. I will be wearing my shorts over my performance prolyproplene and of course I couldn't go anywhere without my gaitors. I'll of course document the trip so there can be no doubt as to the validity of my claim: look for a picture of me in the dark, and then one of me with the rotting couch, shot-gunned TV, mailboxes, and that other crap. I have the day off tomorrow, so I'm headed up! Any of you Extremo Mountain Dudes out there up for it? HCL.gif

Edited by olyclimber