Unusual forearm weakness coupledw/shoulder pain

layton

I've noticed that my forearm is unusually weak sometimes (mostly in morning, but other times too) and I can't make a tight fist.

My arms have been falling DEAD asleep at night. My shoulder is also restricted greatly upon ext/lat rotation and abduction. ALL of my muscles are wicked tight so it's hard to pinpoint the culprit.

I haven't had any shoulder trauma, but lot's of popping and grinding noises at the joint(s).

My guess is I need to stretch and massage, but was wondering if these signs may point to any other pathologies besides just plain old tight muscles???

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

michael_layton said:

I've noticed that my forearm is unusually weak sometimes (mostly in morning, but other times too) and I can't make a tight fist.

My arms have been falling DEAD asleep at night. My shoulder is also restricted greatly upon ext/lat rotation and abduction. ALL of my muscles are wicked tight so it's hard to pinpoint the culprit.

I haven't had any shoulder trauma, but lot's of popping and grinding noises at the joint(s).

My guess is I need to stretch and massage, but was wondering if these signs may point to any other pathologies besides just plain old tight muscles???

Weird.. do you sleep on your back or not?

My arm numbs out on me after around an hour of solid cello playing... my humerus is basically parallel to the ground, and I imagine that nerves/vessels are getting pinched.

Could also be some repetitive strain and carpal tunnel/tenosinovitis. There's always the old ice/ibuprofen, wear a wrist brace at night when it's acting up plan. I've had symptoms like that for years and just treat my arms more kindly when they're acting up. If you want a professional opinion - NW Hand Surgeons is a great group with their own Physical therapy program, they make custom fitted braces, test for nerve damage, etc - and No you don't have to have surgery to get better. They won't recommend surgery unless you absolutely aren't getting better and are continuing to lose function. Hope it's not thoracic outlet sydrome. That would definitley suck and often times does require a rather heinous surgery.

Try using your other hand sometimes. I'm referring to eating, drinking, typing etc with your "wrong" hand and arm every once in a while. We now know that the brain retains plasticity, and it has been proven to be possible to learn ambidexterity or improve your off handedness even when mature.... good for brain development!

Why would you need surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome when all you need to do is stretch and loosen up your scalanes ant unless you were born with an extra rib (which i was not)?

I'm going with overall tighness and posture imbalances on this one. We'll see what the student chiropractic clinic has to say on friday.