scot'teryx

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

catbirdseat said:

The metal wands are said to melt out too quickly and fall over compared to the bamboo ones.

So what? If you buy a pack or two of 100 you can plaster the side of Rainier from Cathedral Gap to the crater rim with wands. You won't even need to stop to place them, you can just toss them like confetti every fifty feet, and then use your machete to chop a bivy ledge in the whiteout. yellaf.gif

Scot'terx

Those things blow for reasons not worth going into, on so many levels . I'm sure you know that already as you are prolly trolling .

Just go to the Home Depot nearest you and get the green bamboo 3' and also get some red duct tape and some relective tape. Way better than those things or even the REI designer wands .

So many reasons and this has been discussed before Geek_em8.gif

Yeah, we've discussed metal wands vs. bamboo wands before and, like any other discussion on this board, there were those who stuck to their guns no matter what the other side said. Meanwhile, I was spouting off as to how I have never felt the need to use wands since the very first time that I went to try Mount Rainier in 1977, and I like glaciers and climb a lot of mountains in bad weather. People from both camps assaulted me for saying such a thing, but I'll say it again: learn how to navigate and leave the wands home -- or at least don't bring more than just a handful to mark some key crevasse crossing or something. Yes, it is probably a good thing that somebody wands the standard route up Mount Rainier and the wand police will pick up errant wands and so forth so that the path is marked correctly, but in most other situations where I see people using wands they are unnecessary and end up scattered about as trash.

mattp said:

Meanwhile, I was spouting off as to how I have never felt the need to use wands ... ...assaulted me for saying such a thing, but I'll say it again: learn how to navigate and leave the wands home -- or at least don't bring more than just a handful to mark some key crevasse crossing or something.

I missed it when it came up last, but it's nice to see someone else come out of the closet on this. thumbs_up.gif

Now if I could just convince everyone to ditch the avy. transceivers. wink.gif

-t

if you want cheap wands, go up to rainier on a weekend in the spring when the mounties and other groups are practicing... you can score HUNDREDS of wands they've used to do wierd shit with around camp... some of these groups use more wands to stake out their camp 'safe zones' and 'snowmelt snow' than you would need for the entire Ingraham Gl route in a whiteout!