153 members have voted

1. 1. Vote here

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alpinfox said:

33% warmer!?!?!

SHIT! That is not good for my ice climbing fantasies.

Anybody wanna start a scrabble club?

thankfully, it's 33% chance that temps will be higher than normal. smile.gif and if i understand well they mean 'slightly higher than normal'.

jake: there was a similar thread a few weeks ago in the climber's board

thankfully, it's 33% chance that temps will be higher than normal. smile.gif and if i understand well they mean 'slightly higher than normal'.

So, doesn't that mean that there's a 67% chance that temperatures will be normal or lower than normal?

Unless they're trying to say that temperatures will by 33% HIGHER than normal (which doesn't sound like what the accompanying text is trying to say) this looks like one of those content-lite maps publications like USA Today like so well.

Alpine_Tom said:

So, doesn't that mean that there's a 67% chance that temperatures will be normal or lower than normal?

i don't believe so. 33% is the probability of the anomaly so it should be the difference between the forecast probability and the probability of each possibility (above/normal/below) in the historical record. so the modeled forecast probabilities should be something like 66.3% for above normal temps and the balance for normal/below. assuming each category has a 33.3% chance occurrence in the historical record.