Boy I'm glad I didnt stay home - Tieton TR

dkemp

Wow, a great weekend at the crags. Went to Tietons Royal Columns Sat & Sun. Led Western Front, 5.3, Good Times, 5.4, and Double Trouble (I think thats what its called) 5.5ish. I say 5.5ish cause I got plenty sketched near the top. All four of us were leading so we all got time on the sharp end as well as the easier end.

The Royal Columns were, alas, quite crowded. Lots of small groups and one large one ( a Tacoma Mtneers group of "a dozen or so" - I asked one of them).

We have a couple new ratings standards to introduce. First is "S", as in Snake. That 5.4 takes on a new meaning when your belayer says 'Oh boy, this just became a 5.4 S!' Lots of rattlesnakes around the base of the crag.

The other rating introduced is "MA", as in My Ass. The 5.5 I put up was definitely 5.5 MA, and others in my group reported finding a 5.6MA and a 5.4MA. The climbing was a bit harded than we expected.

I didnt take a lot of pictures - I guess I was busy - but here are a couple.

My buddy Phil took this one of me on rappel -

doxonrappel.jpg

And here's Phil seconding Double Trouble, or whatever its called (yes - I tied off the belay to take the pic).

Philondoubletrouble.jpg

More pictures next time (I always say that).

Anyway, two full days of climbing and we came home tired. Good times!

Dox

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the more important question is how much longer is skate creek rd and chinook pass open till?

the weather is good there almost always there, tho it does get quite cold at times. but there are some south facing sport climbing areas you could climb at.

bigdrink.gif