Hwy 20 closed for the season!

Fairweather

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is much easier to NOT keep a road open, fairweather.

spend time listening to snowplow crews, this is the prevailing attitude towards a seasonal road. And this attitude is backed by administration because of fiduciary concerns.

Not so on roads that are suppossed to remain open all year, like

Donner Pass (very impressive snow moving operation) and Snoq passes.

did you know, for every HOUR the pass is closed, Puget Sound business lose and estimated $485,000 in lost productivity (DOT figure) due to delays over Snoqualamie Pass alone.

It's a shame about 20. no quick trip to Harts Pass to poach those bowls...

Less plowing, more $$$ left in the discretionary fund.

• 2 weeks later...

What's different about the snowclearing on donner pass? is it extra fast or something? I'm actually fairly impressed that they can keep our passes open as much as they do. The volume of snow per storm makes it much harder than in the sierras or rockies.

Colonial Creek Campground (which is now gone, by the way; devestated by its namesake watercourse on Oct. 20) is at 1,600 feet. Not that high but it is in the mountains so more prone to snowstorms. Thunder Arm surface elevation is at 1,200 ft. Pyramid Lake Trail starts at a measly 1,100 ft, which is interesting because I did not realize it was lower than Diablo Lake (which is the same as Thunder Arm's elevation). Pyramid Lake itself is at about 2,700 ft.

I agree, though, better to start fixing the washouts now that later, but later (as in springtime) they probably won't be snowcovered. If so, it won't be too deep.

• 2 weeks later...