Cheap single-wall tent

dryad

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

rbw1966 said:

Epic has been tested in the NW. It does not work well in heavy rains. Its best use is in cold, snowy conditions.

Did somebody make a production tent out of EPIC before the new-for-next-year BD tents, or is this field research by one of the mfrs or what? Just being nosy, though it comes as no surprise to me that it wets out/leaks in heavy rain.

i can only think of the epic bivies that were out there. the bibler winter bivy, and another epic topsheet/silcoat bottom bivy that were more winter oriented as well... those ultralight xracer tents posted about here have probably been used for a couple of seasons, as most adventure races require a freestanding shelter, a tarp won't cut it by the rules.

I'm curious as well, i cannot think of one.

marylou said:

rbw1966 said:

Epic has been tested in the NW. It does not work well in heavy rains. Its best use is in cold, snowy conditions.

Did somebody make a production tent out of EPIC before the new-for-next-year BD tents, or is this field research by one of the mfrs or what? Just being nosy, though it comes as no surprise to me that it wets out/leaks in heavy rain.

I missed the part where you specified epic TENTS. Epic itself has been, as Beck pointed out, available in bivvy sacks for a couple years now.

they DO maker goretex tents, and there is a new air permeable goretex developed for tent canopies and bivy sacks. You can totally zip up in one of these and not suffocate like you will in a standard bivy all zipped up.

gore tex tents are for sale in europe. A buddy of mine field tested the airpermeable goretex this spring and was pretty impressed with its performance. American fire retardancy specs preclude goretex from application in tent canopies.

And for all you dirtbaggers out here in search of the real cheap deal... Find cheap goretex in the forensics department of your local hospital. The gurneys have "body bags" made out of two layer fused goretex.... work great as a bivy tarp.