mount jefferson

penelope_pitstop

Anyone been up Mount Jefferson recently ? There is some rock exposed on the Whitewater that needs protection, easy 5.7 maybe ? bigdrink.gif, and not sure what size/type gear to bring. As for the pinnacle, would slings be the most appropriate anchor material ? This might all be a moot point, as weather is looking pretty crappola, but you never know.....

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just my two cents from my own experience on Jeff...wait till the spring to do this one...I think Jeff has even worse rock than North Sister, the last time I was on Jeff was in '97...my climbing partner dislodged a car-size boulder which rolled down to the whitewater glacier, slid the length of the glacier, and exploded when it hit the moraine...nasty...

At least in the spring/early summer most of the rock around the pinnacle will be covered in snow.

pete_a said:

I think Jeff has even worse rock than North Sister

Indeed. The loose rock on Jeff's south ridge is the only rock that has ever given me a sense of fear that the whole freakin' mountain was going to come crashing down if I stepped on it the wrong way...

I agree, unless you enjoy bottomless scree slogging and sketchy loose rocks just to get to the upper mountain waiting until Spring is more enjoyable. I did the West Rib in early June and never touched rock until the pinnacle. Depending on your climbing level the pinnacle is really easy. If you did rope up long slings are essential.