Drills holes near Triad L. outlet

Jonathan

Visited Triad Lake this summer, that's near Buck and High Passes.

Camped at the outlet near some of those wonderful large glacier polished boulders and slabs. We noticed some 4 drill holes in the granite in our camp, maybe an inch in diameter and a couple of inches deep.

The question: Why would some drill here for cores like this? Is the rock there that unusual?

The area is not exactly remote but seems still like a loooooooong-arsed way to fly-in or shelp drilling equipment in.

Jonathan

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jonathan said:

Visited Triad Lake this summer, that's near Buck and High Passes.

Camped at the outlet near some of those wonderful large glacier polished boulders and slabs. We noticed some 4 drill holes in the granite in our camp, maybe an inch in diameter and a couple of inches deep.

The question: Why would some drill here for cores like this? Is the rock there that unusual?

The area is not exactly remote but seems still like a loooooooong-arsed way to fly-in or shelp drilling equipment in.

Jonathan

CHIPPING!!! by sport climbers shocked.gif

Did you place tri cams in the holes? cantfocus.gif

What was the spacing? Maybe they were going to insert some mongo bolts and airlift the stone over to Paul Allen's place on Lopez. During the constuction of his house, twenty some odd tractor trailer flat beds loaded with large shrink-wrapped boulders came on Island. Maybe this was the one piece they wouldn't let on the ferry. cantfocus.gif

Speaking of mining-

There appeared to be a particulary curious looking spot about 200meters southeast of Foggy Lake or Crater Lake (Beckey arguing) with a start of a mine.

It was mentioned by my partner that it could be a well. Logically it is 200M from a giant lake and I cannot make the connection from the design to a well - even though it appeared one if you were in dry country.

The said area is only about 6-8 feet deep and has a wall of surrounding rocks on 3 sides. I am sure thousands have seen it. If I was to bivy there I would take it apart for investigation.

Weird.

The mines near Sheep Gap Mountain are also a short distance away. However I believe the best mining areas near there are in the Monte Cristo Group.

I invite photos.

I will take pictures of mines if I see them in the future. Does anyone have any to share?