Biggest roof in WA?

Jens

Just out of curiousity, what are some votes for the biggest horizonital or near horizontal roof that anyone has seen in Washington? I don't mean just an overhang-- but instead a horizontal-like celling. I was going to post the question in the rock climbing forum but I'll bet our answer probably is found somwhere in the high mountains where many of the crags rats don't go. I'm thinking Dolomite style roofs that jut way out from the wall. I don't care if the roofs are climbable or not, I'm just curious for the sake of interest. What are some possible contenders? (even if you've just seen em' through binoculars).

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

uhh well not the biggest i'm sure, but cool none the less, and you get a real close up perspective while climbing up to it, then out underneath it... also the way mt. stuart is framed underneath as your climbing out-bella vista! w.face colchuck balanced rock roof pitch... check this route out!!! hahaha.gif

Harry_Pi said:

Hello capitalist!

I hear Bill Gate has large roof.

Long live Mao Tse-Dung confused.gif

That is true, Harry. 50,000 square feet for parking alone.

I would like to know which roof or other rock formation would make the best living quarters for homeless person.

It is hard to take picture of roof that shows scale. Here is one of the smaller roofs at Lion's Head in Ontario.

Largest roof I dealt with in Washington is Mastodon Roof.

251884-roof.jpg.ec5b72d89a2ec3d999676b51edfb7ae5.jpg

another vote for the colchuck balanced rock. it's huge, it's flat, and you climb right up underneath it. it even has some cracks that go out the underside... also a lot of roofs on the east side of lib. bell massif, but mostly "stepped", i.e. cascade ceilings on independence route.

another big roof

overhead.jpg

Cairns said:

Harry_Pi said:

Hello capitalist!

I hear Bill Gate has large roof.

Long live Mao Tse-Dung confused.gif

That is true, Harry. 50,000 square feet for parking alone.

I would like to know which roof or other rock formation would make the best living quarters for homeless person.

It is hard to take picture of roof that shows scale. Here is one of the smaller roofs at Lion's Head in Ontario.

Largest roof I dealt with in Washington is Mastodon Roof.

Speaking of Mastadon, did you lead with your feet or head? I tried this route many years ago (before I knew Leavittation) I got spanked really bad, and couldn't even finish it --even with hang dogging! The grade seemed stout?

As for big cellings, The roof that Ride of the Valkyries or early morning overhang is pretty hurking. But I know we've got way bigger on some of the metamorphics of the high North Cascades my memory has left me. Anyone?

Jens said:

Speaking of Mastadon, did you lead with your feet or head?

Various positions, mostly head first, but including escaping off to the side part way out to rest on vertical while trying to figure out roof crack. No hanging on rope (that I remember) but didn't just go straight out the crack. Still one of my best crag pitch experiences in WA, along with ROTC and Earwax. Brian Puvolny might remember more.

What about the eastside Limestone roofs?

Then again (Cairns will back me up on this cause he hiked up there with me to check it out) there is a 25+m roof hidden on the west side of the Squamish River in the forest. Canoe required for access. Offwidth crack right thru the middle too shocked.gif

Dru said:

What about the eastside Limestone roofs?

Then again (Cairns will back me up on this cause he hiked up there with me to check it out) there is a 25+m roof hidden on the west side of the Squamish River in the forest. Canoe required for access. Offwidth crack right thru the middle too shocked.gif

Yes, super-humans invited to check it. I hear there are plans to build a lodge and tram on that side of the river. Good hikes and a lake in the area.