Who Climbed What This Weekend?

fern

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I too climbed in and out of a Kayak this weekend....3rd annual trip to Second Beach out of La Push with my son. Arrived just before sundown and we frantically loaded the boat and paddled out of the Marina as the sun set. As we paddled across First Beach I was amazed at how huge the swells were far out from the beach. Some were almost breaking which was a little freaky. We pushed on, but as we approached the various sea stacks guarding second beach, there were just too many big waves breaking quite far out from the beach. It wasn't safe to attempt a landing so we turned around and went back to the Marina. We ended up setting up camp on first beach and Saturday was bluebird and we enjoyed the surfers rippping it up on some pretty big waves. We went for an afternoon paddle around James island and some other un-named sea stacks, launching and landing in the surf, but it was getting mellower and was no big deal at the north end of the beach. Sunday was all foggy so we hiked down to second beach. Surprisingly, the huge expanse of beach where we usually camp was completely devoid of driftwood! Bare, nada, not even a stick for a fire. Good thing we didn't make it. I'm still baffled as to where all the realy huge logs went. I mean winter storms bring the stuff in, but I've never heard of them cleaning the beach completely. We're talking HUGE logs burried in the sand. I know because I was there the 2 years previous. Wierd!

Edited by David_Parker

Hiked over Hanagan Pass to Chilowak River, then up abandoned trail to Easy Rige. Slept under the stars Sat night. Sunday hiked up to Easy Peak and then turned around and came out. One of the guys pulled a shin nuscle on the way out so Wolfie and I took the heavy stuff from his pack. Want to go back and do some more ridge wandering. THE FALL COLORS WERE AWSOME!!!!

Dave_Schuldt said:

Hiked over Hanagan Pass to Chilowak River, then up abandoned trail to Easy Rige. Slept under the stars Sat night. Sunday hiked up to Easy Peak and then turned around and came out. One of the guys pulled a shin nuscle on the way out so Wolfie and I took the heavy stuff from his pack. Want to go back and do some more ridge wandering. THE FALL COLORS WERE AWSOME!!!!

Dave, that trail is not abandoned. You were well on your way to Perfect Pass and climbing Challanger....just another few days!

Alpinfox said:

I climbed into and out of a kayak a few times. One of my climbing partners (pictured below)

Is that Andrew S.? Spittin' image, if not. If so, please tell him I said "hi". He taught me most of what I know about climbing and I'll always appreciate it -- excellent climbing mentor. thumbs_up.gif

Michael McMurray