Tooth-

Charlie

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not lately, but I did that two or three years ago and in my opinion there was little to be gained by riding the chair (I was against it at the time but my buddies thought it would be cool to do the climb Euro-style). First you have to shell out for the lift ticket, then you wait for the lifts to start operating. Once up the chair, you drop down the first part of K2, and then make a long traverse around Denny Mountain -- it is over a half mile with some up and down and some steep slopes. Unless the snow surface is very firm, you will need a split board or a pair of snowshoes for this.

The climb up from below usually has a trail at least as far as the point where you head uphill just before Source Lake, and much of the time there will be a trail all the way. I would think the lift ticket only worth it if there is a lot of new snow, when the traverse might be a lot easier than climbing up through the woods.

I highly recommend the chairlift option. It is really fast. Drop into International and take the highest gate.

A few problems though.*The guys working avy control know their stuff but they will often keep the backcountry "closed" even on days when the risk is tolerable. *They often keep the highest gate enterance closed even when all of the rest of the backcountry is open so they can have the reign supreme on all of us having to take the low and slow traverse gate. (although the highest traverse gate is a little more avy prone.)*The lift ops check tickets almost every single minute of the day and night at alpental. Also please do not try to get on the lift without skis or a snowboard on. Even though the local 18 year old lift op may let you on with snowshoes or on foot, it is not good PR for future climber access. *Climbers have a delicate working realtionship here, remember the mindset that patrolmen and all other area employees are always right. Please be polite. I was a ski instructor up at the pass for a lot of years.Have fun

PS. How's the TAV? I miss Eburg.

the deal with the Backcountry permit is pretty much a legal formality. Apparently you go with a ski patroller for a "tour" which is cool because they point out where you could get trapped on the edge of a cliff, then you sign a waiver and you're good to go. Of course this only applies to those who buy a lift ticket. It's everyones mountain, and no one can tell you not to go anywhere. They can revoke your ticket/pass but if you're not using the chairs, they can say nothing. I have a pass there but have not gone through the backcountry permit "tour" yet for various reasons. I'd love to climb the tooth with someone using the lift and board back down. I do not have much rock leading experience however.

quote:

Originally posted by payaso:
Of course this only applies to those who buy a lift ticket. It's everyones mountain, and no one can tell you not to go anywhere. They can revoke your ticket/pass but if you're not using the chairs, they can say nothing.

interesting... at least here in idaho, if you're within the ski area boundaries (ie. the legally defined area the ski area has leased from the USFS), you're bound to the ski area rules and policies since you're on property under their control because of their lease. the ski area can ban you from the slopes, control where you enter the backcountry, lay down other rules, and prevent you from hiking/sledding/etc. of course, often times it takes the authority of a county sheriff (who are usually more than happy to help) to make policies really sink in.

myself and some friends got bitched out once a long while ago in high school for hiking to the top of the local ski hill from the mid mountain lodge to play around in some couloirs. funny thing is that while we were out there, a patroller skiied by us, asked how we were doing, told us to take it easy, and cruised on down the hill. however, once we hiked back up the backside to the top at the end of the day, there were a handful of people waiting for us. seems the ski area has liability and responsibility for us if we were to get lost or injured. i had to get on the phone on behalf of the three of us and some fucking dude bitched at me a bit, which i mainly tuned out. then they offered and almost imposed that we ride back to the lodge on snowmobiles. when we declined, they assessed that because we had leather mountaineering boots, axes, avy shovels, light packs and good enough clothing, etc that we could go on our feet if we busted ass immediately 1,000 feet down to the lodge and our rigs and took off.

anyway, interesting and fun day. i think we damn near made the news for that in booring ol' boise, idaho.

peace out [big Drink]