Hammocks

epb

Anyone had any experiences with any of the hammocks out there? Was wondering if anyone had any opinions in regards to comfort, setup, etc...Maybe either the Pika Parastite Hammock or Mtn Tools Room with a View? (any others?) I'm thinking about picking one up, but never known anyone that has bivouaced in one.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what brand I used, but it was a single point hammock that had a small T-frame that kept the shoulder attachments separated. Movement in restricted and you pretty much have to sleep on your back. Better than sleeping in slings but still a far cry from a 'ledge. Setup is instant and they small and light to haul.

They are so cheap and light (~22oz). For alpine walls, or walls that only require one bivy they seem to be a decent alternative to ledges. Obviously they can't compare in comfort to ledges, but I'm pretty much sold on the idea of getting one. However, I don't know which one?

NO NO NO NOOOOOOO!!!!!

The only way I'd take a hammock for a bivy situation is if I were facing a long section of hanging belays (i.e. couldn't climb a pitch or two to reach a ledge or fix a couple down to a ledge), was not hauling a bag, and trying to go very light. If it's the money that's making you consider a hammock, consider the Fish One Night Stand at $250. I love mine for certain situations. Those hammocks with single point and a "t" bar system are not really light and kind of defeat the purpose. Unless you are a back sleeper and like crunched shoulders, avoid a hammock like the plague. Those Hennsey dealies are pretty cool for lounging around camp though.