Univ. of Idaho PNW climbing survey...

Thrashador

Has anybody out there received a survey from the Univ. of Idaho Dept. of Resource Recreation and Tourism? Although it purports to be a simple survey of peoples climbing activities and preferences in OR and WA, it appears to be a thinly veiled attempt to get further beta on the efficacy of the Forest Service's Fee Demo Program. The intent of the survey was not made abundantly clear in the accompanying cover letter. I found out only after contacting the principals involved with the study. madgo_ron.gifthumbs_down.gifmadgo_ron.gifthumbs_down.gif

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I THINK INSTEAD OF THROWING IT IN THE TRASH ONE SHOULD PUT THEIR COMMENTS ON IT AND VOICE WHAT THEY THINK. I MEAN THESE THINGS ARE SOO LIMITED, ONE SHOULD SHUN IT AND TELL THEM THE TRUTH, MAYBE IT WONT GET REAR MAYBE IT WILL....BUT NEVER THE LESS ONE MORE CHANCE TO BITCH ABOUT THE FUCKED STATE OF BEING CALL THE "DEFORREST SERVICE"

I WISH I GOT ONE!

Yeah, I could've written a letter and sent it off to the grad student and vented on all the stuff the survey didn't cover but what would that have accomplished? The questions were more or less about peaks I don't climb (Adams and St. Helens) and whether I don't climb them because there are too many people in there, too much trash, because there's a fee, etc... Also, because of the design, if I did climb those peaks and cared about them, I wouldn't have been "eligible" to answer a lot of the survey because I didn't first climb them 5 years ago. Really it wasn't worth my time.

one shouldnt be stuck up about peaks they dont climb...all peaks are climbers domain and where does it stop?? only on volcanos? or does it go all the way to even our beloveded granite crags...bitching about it and then throwing it away only shows shortsightedness from one.!?!?

who knows i never got one, apprently i am not cool enough!

cry.gifrolleyes.gifhahaha.gif

Whatever Erik. We can disagree on this one. Not that I don't care about the peaks, just not enought to take time to check a box that says didn't climb it before 5 years ago, provide demographic info because I'm supposed to skip the bulk of the survey and then mail that to them...

You didn't get one because they only sampled people who filled out climbing registrations/permits in WA and OR, or had bought a forest pass... Another reason it was a shitty survey and didn't warrant time. Sampling errors will skew the results and I don't think being a part of that is a good thing.

Edited by ehmmic

If someone managed to get a hold of one of these surveys and happened to have access to a flatbed scanner, maybe they could post it so we could see what this thing is all about. Depending on what it is, I might be willing to fill one out and send it in too. Particularly if it provides an opportunity to indicate disapproval for the regulations and fees for Adams and St. Helens.