Need suggestions on an all day ridge traverse

tjb111

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Roosevelt-Kaleetan is not easy and it's not a traverse. Probably not even all day. It's usually not good form to take your buddies from out of town on something that has significant death-by-loose-rock potential.

I'd like to try to answer the original question, but it is so vague it's tough to get a handle on. How easy is easy? Saying "friends from out of town" hints of total newbiedom, but perhaps they could be your buddies Steph and Dean from Moab. Similarly "all day" will vary depending on your abilities. For example, The Tooth is all day to most, and sub 3 hours to many.

Narrow the field and I'll bet you'll get a lot more suggestions (and more useful ones too).

Roosevelt - Kaleetan IS a traverse.

It's not short but there is crumbly rock on the crux.

It rates easy but whatever. Some people will solo it.

I think its about a 12-16 hour Traverse between the peaks and back to the car depending on things. Some people do it quicker and slower.

OK. I guess you're right. It could be a reasonably long day, depending on how much was belayed. I still don't think it's easy (to avoid the chop), and I still don't think it's a traverse.

To go from Roosevelt to Kaleetan, you climb up Roosevelt, then back down to the base. Then you walk over to the start of the N Ridge of Kaleetan and you climb up that. I think of a traverse as climbing over a contiguous feature between two peaks.

Roosevelt Kaleetan is no more a traverse than Snoqualmie Peak -> Chair Peak would be, or perhaps closer would be Liberty Bell by the Beckey Route, rap down Overexposure to the notch then climb Lexington or Concord or whatever that tower is by Lib Bell by the N Face Route.

chucK said:

OK. I guess you're right. It could be a reasonably long day, depending on how much was belayed. I still don't think it's easy (to avoid the chop), and I still don't think it's a traverse.

To go from Roosevelt to Kaleetan, you climb up Roosevelt, then back down to the base. Then you walk over to the start of the N Ridge of Kaleetan and you climb up that. I think of a traverse as climbing over a contiguous feature between two peaks.

Roosevelt Kaleetan is no more a traverse than Snoqualmie Peak -> Chair Peak would be, or perhaps closer would be Liberty Bell by the Beckey Route, rap down Overexposure to the notch then climb Lexington or Concord or whatever that tower is by Lib Bell by the N Face Route.

Thanks for the chuck definitions. Call it what you want - Did you actually read what you proposed for a definition?

It's all semantics and on a ridge traverse this more often than not some dowclimbing or rappelling.

I'm not defining anything. It's a fun day to avoid the bugs in may or september.

Keep tossing around your definitions so I can laugh.

Cpt.Caveman said:

I'm not defining anything.

But you did say Roosevelt to Kaleetan was a traverse.

I call it climbing two distinct peaks.

Glad I could make you laugh. yellaf.gif Better than a "rap on the beezer" I guess.

Good to see you posting again. wazzup.gif