out door schooling ??

red

in your opinions,is it worth it.

i climb sport and trad done some back packing and yes dont shoot me went up raineer with RMI...graduation gift. hated it, all they do is baby sit you and drag you up the fukin thing. ive learnd more on my own and reading than i did with them (wouldent mind workin for them though). Now Im sure one of you kind and alought of times arogent climbers woulent mind taking me up to learn the ropes of mountaineering and i feel reluctent to spend four grand on the NOLS alaskan mountaineering cours but it has been crosing my mind.

so is it worth it.

thanks mr greene

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why don't you just take a WFR course(Wilderness FirstResponder)for $450-$500, an Avalanche Level 1 course $200, basic & advanced mountaineering and crevasserescue courses $1000 and take the rest of the moneyand just go climb on your own. You'll end up gettingmuch more experience that way. Or take the rest of themoney and buy equipment and do local climbing with itand your newfound skills. you'll get much more bang foryour buck this way, instead of paying NOLS $4000. [big Drink]

[ 02-01-2002: Message edited by: Richard Pumpington ]

imho, no, its not worth it. i personally am a firm believer in learning through trial and experience. you already climb sport and trad, if i were you i would drop the sport and do more trad and get on more ice and snow. log in lots of hours on easy/moderate snow slopes and get used to moving at altitude with a pack on. learn how to climb ice(NOT by paying somebody to teach you). do what you're doing now and meet some new partners, online, at the gym, wherever. just get out n climb.

of course, i might just be full of shit.

quote:

Originally posted by mr. happy:
imho, no, its not worth it. i personally am a firm believer in learning through trial and experience. you already climb sport and trad, if i were you i would drop the sport and do more trad and get on more ice and snow. log in lots of hours on easy/moderate snow slopes and get used to moving at altitude with a pack on. learn how to climb ice(NOT by paying somebody to teach you). do what you're doing now and meet some new partners, online, at the gym, wherever. just get out n climb.

of course, i might just be full of shit.

I have had friends who have done NOLS trips in Patagonia, and in the Wind Rivers, they both really liked it.

I learned by heading out with a bro and paying my dues through many epics that I am lucky to be alive after. I never had 4,000 dollars to spend on climbing at once....

My advice is if you choose to figure it out for yourself, remain humble, don't succumb to ambition, and trust your instincts. Be happy with taking baby steps as you progress through your experiences and you’ll live long and prosper.

Originally posted by mr. happy:

[QB]imho, no, its not worth it. i personally am a firm believer in learning through trial and experience. you already climb sport and trad, if i were you i would drop the sport and do more trad and get on more ice and snow. log in lots of hours on easy/moderate snow slopes and get used to moving at altitude with a pack on. learn how to climb ice(NOT by paying somebody to teach you). do what you're doing now and meet some new partners, online, at the gym, wherever. just get out n climb.

sorry, first time i've tried to quote somebody, mr. happy is right, get out and kick some steps, when all you make is a small impression with your boot put on crampons. you already know how to belay somebody. just climb class 3 routes, when you are comfortable traveling in the alpine then start doing technical routes. it's to bad you live in a climbing backwater. i took a climbing course through olympic community college my second year of climbing. we did most of the climbs i had done by myself already but i met some great people to go with. be aware, it's addictive, you might quit working and become a slave to the mountains. good luck.

Trial and experience can be the best way to learn. I've seen folks take anything from a NOLS or Outward bound class to the Mountaineers basic climbing class and be book smart, but painfully lame in the hills.

Your best bet is to find an experienced partner and learn from the school of hard knocks. But hey, if you've gor $4k to spend, and think you'll have enough for gear afterwards, go for it!

P.S., if you are doing the trial and experience if you run in to any of the regular poster on this site, be prepared to be publicly humiliated! grin.gif" border="0

Thanks for all the reply’s.

I think ill try to learn on my own maybe local classes and older climbers as well. The reason I was considering nols is because it is worth college credit and I could have talked my grand mother in to it.

Thanks again Mr. Greene

try your college outdoor rec program. over the years I have been amazed at the quality of mountaineer sharing skills for free on "cooperative adventure" trips through college outdoor programs. seems like a substantial percentage of high-caliber climbers gravitate to teaching as a "day-job" (summers off, and lengthy winter breaks by arrangement) if all else fails, you can take it upon yourself to organize a co-op adventure to a place you've fantasized about; among the folks who sign on for such an adventure you're likely to find both partners and mentors...at the very least, some folks who share your ideals and ambitions...good luck!

go out too the crags and find yerself (stalk) some mentors. the more the merrier because you can take the best from each of them. once you get "in the loop" experienced partners will appear like clockwork. save your grandmas money for a better cause you moocher. tongue.gif" border="0

Dick is probably right. $4,000 sounds way too much-it could be better spent on travel costs and gear. Plus if you are really serious about a pastime in the mountains, a Wilderness Firs Responder an Avalanch Level 1 Certification is a wise investment.

As far as mountaineering and ice climbing go, start out simple. Try and find a mentor (avoid the Mazamas and the Mountaineers), then practice your skills on easy and forgiving terrain. Gradually work your way up to harder and more challenging terrain. Just don't take on more than you can truly handle. Know your limits.

Hiring a guide for some day or 2-day trips is not a bad idea. You can learn A LOT from a professional guide that you might not learn from a book or a mentor. As far as guide services go, Timberline Mtn Guides in Oregon has a pretty good reputation. I have heard AAI is pretty good, but I have heard you don't always get as much individual attention as you might receive from other professional guides. I would not hire a guide necessarily for a peak bagging trip, but I would hire them to learn as much as you can from them.