Madrone Wall

MATT_B

Last week someone said that they heard Madrone Wall was open. I told a buddy of mine and he did some checking. He sent an E-mail to Cam Gilmour, Director of Clackamas County Department of Transportation asking for more information. Sounds like it is still closed. A couple weeks ago there where 4 cars parked there so I am sure people are climbing there. I hope this does not jeopardize our chances of ever getting this place opened up.

Mr. Belt, I am responding to your inquiry regarding Madrone Wall. Since the quarry site was closed to the public in 1997, Clackamas County is periodically contacted by individuals or groups who would like the site to be reopened for rock climbing. You may know that the Hardscrabble Quarry site is off limits to the public and is posted "no-trespassing." At the beginning of this year I was contacted by a group that would like to use Madrone Wall. I am in the process of reviewing this request and plan to take this up with the County Administrator in the near future. If you want to be kept informed of any changes involving public access to the quarry please let me know.

Cam Gilmour

Director

Clackamas County Department of Transportation and Development

9101 SE Sunnybrook Blvd.

Clackamas, Oregon 97015

503-353-4340 Direct

503-353-4272 Fax

camgil@co.clackamas.or.us

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Has anyone heard any updates on Madrone? This stalemate with the county has drug on for years now. Is there still active work going on to try and get the place open or has interest/support died off? Who can I contact in the climbing community to find out more about what can be done. I miss the place. frown.gif

My understanding is that Madeone is stil closed and folks are still working with Clack. I think there was some turn over on their Board of Comm'rs and so folks thought there was a new chance to get it reopened. I'm not sure who's working on it, but I think a web search would turn up there names.

You could try getting a hold of Gary Rall (PRG owner guy); perhaps he is involved with the Carver Climbing Club, which is maybe also involved in Madrone re-opening negotiations. Or perhaps contact Ian Caldwell (find one of his posts on smithrock.com for his e-mail), as he is (or was, anyway) the local Access Fund rep.

Those would be good starting points, anyway.

Dr_Flash_Amazing said:

You could try getting a hold of Gary Rall (PRG owner guy); perhaps he is involved with the Carver Climbing Club, which is maybe also involved in Madrone re-opening negotiations. Or perhaps contact Ian Caldwell (find one of his posts on smithrock.com for his e-mail), as he is (or was, anyway) the local Access Fund rep.

Those would be good starting points, anyway.

Bob McGown,Pres. of OR chapter of AAC,and one of the main forces of the Madrone Wall taskforce,would pretty much have the goods on the status of this issue.Contact him at Oregon chapter AAC wave.gif