Climbing Movies

Wired_Knut

If the Banff Mountain Film Festival was not enough of a fix, another option:

Town Hall 1119 Eighth Ave, 652-4255

MOUNTAINFILM IN TELLURIDE Sat Jan 19 at 5, 8

MOUNTAINFILM IN TELLURIDE In a state lousy with film festivals (Colorado), Mountainfilm stands out as being a "climbing-related" event, which is to say that the shorts presented here all have something to do with rocks or climbing them, to which I say: Chomp on, granolas! (SEAN NELSON) Town Hall

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd have to disagree that MOUNTAINFILM is all climbing related movies. There are some, but ususally it is more of a socially conscious outdoor filmfest. It is fun, but if you go to the 5 PM showing I don't think there is a single climbing related movie unless you count watching a monkey climbing trees to harvest coconuts or watching avalanches in Colorado. "Ode to Avalanche" was at Banff a couple years ago.

The best climbing film in the bunch is at the 8 PM showing - "The Fatal Game" with Mark Whetu (NZ) is really good. Of course, it about high altitude Himalayan climbing and the story of an accident involving a guided climber not wanting to turn back. And no, it isn't some New Zealander remake of "Into Thin Air".

All that said, I'm still planning to go to help support the Friends of the NW Weather and Avalanche Center.

Anyone here ever see "Scream In Stone"?

Terrible script, terrible acting. Very loosely based on the Cerro Torre FA race and debate.

But the end aerial scene of the guy standing on top of the REAL, ACTUAL Cerro Torre makes it worth getting it and fast forwarding to that part. and to see Stefan Glowacz die from taking a big screamer and hitting nothing but air...

Anyone ever seen that Pat Ament film where he decks out into the river rocks below? That was actual footage of him grounding, but in the film he artfully cuts the last scene just as your about to see the carnage. I remember that Backslackers Supply had it for rent back when Choder used to work there.

And someone mentioned once El Cap as being a great film and they are right.