Sportiva Trango Extreme S boots

jjd

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How boots fit are subjective ... everyone's feet are different. Having said that mine fit great, I got a pair of the extreme s's at the start of last winter and have used them for ice climbing and alpine climbing. Loosen the laces a bit and they're great for the approach, crank 'em down and the precision and light weight are worth half a grade on ice. I think the longest day I've done in them was about ~14m or so, and although I won't say I was dancing at the end, there were no blisters or anything untoward I would attribute to the boots.

Just keep in mind that these are not full on winter mnt. boots. Walk around or climb in deep snow and your feet will get cold. They're really low cut as far as boots go, so be sure to wear gaiters. Learn the limitations though, figure out how to deal with them and these boots rock. I'll only use the plastics on big mtns now.

as always, ymmv.

Great boots, plenty of ankle mobility for climbing, warm enough (for me) for spring conditions in Colorado, although not for full on winter. I have added a toe cap to keep my feet dryer (no idea why La Sportiva didn't do this). The lacing system is better than the old Trango Extremes (hooks by the ankles instead of eyelets). However, the forefoot doesn't seem to tighten as narrow as the older style Trango Extremes, but this has not been a problem. You can really crank on the laces and tighten the ankle a little too much if your not careful. The new Trango Extreme S also seems a tad wider in the forefoot, and has a better heel fit (for me), more contoured and not as straight a heel as the older Trango series which were heel biters to me. I'm not too fond of the leather they are using, I would also prefer a roughout leather that would accept waterproofing better, as the old Trango extremes did. The yellow leather in the new boots seems thinner (lighter as well though), won't wear as well, and doesn't "take" nikwax as well....too early to tell on longevity of the upper. They have held up to small stream crossings fine.

My only complaint is I am on my 2nd pair in 5 weeks from delamination issues.....The first pair each delaminated the sole back 2-3" from the toe after 50 miles (returned to REI). The second (new) pair delaminated after a single 10 mile day, half of which was on snow. La sportiva is supposed to be fixing this pair under warrenty...we'll see. Its not like I'm hard on boots...I only wt. 140 lbs! So watch the toe area for delamination. My wife also has a pair and and has not experienced any delamination over the same period of time/trips.

Good luck, if they fit your foot, you'll like'em.

CRB

JoshK said:

Attitude said:

jjd said:

General opinions about these boots?

They suck.

Too narrow in the toebox.

Great feedback, tool.
Thanks. thumbs_up.gif

I've read several posts where people complain because they bought the trendy boot-of-the-month which didn't fit their feet. Fit is very important.

Yeah, obviously fit is important. Believe it nor not, however, these boots do fit some people's feet. I wasn't aware the Trango S (which I got) or the Trango Extreme S was the "trendy boot of the month" Quite to the contrary, I think the Trango S is about the ugliest thing out there, but I think they fit my needs quite well.

I'm wondering if Attitude has the Trango Extreme S confused with the Trango S (which I believe Josh has).

I think you will find the Trango Extreme S to have the roomier toe box, as it is designed more for snow and cold than the Trango S.

We have sucessfully fit both to folks with wider feet with some carefull stretching.

Hey Gearhead (is this Brian?), do you guys have the Trango S in stock in a 43.5? I think I have to take mine back to REI for a manufacturing defect and if I'm returning them anyway, I'd rather buy the new ones from yuo guys.