East Face of Chianti

scott_johnston

Climbed E Face of Chianti (Rebel Yell) today (6/29). Would recommend that the next party carry a 13mm wrench to tighten the left rap bolt at the top station just below summit. The Petzl bolt is loose so is not properly expanding the sleeve in the hole. We used the righthand start as per Beckey book which is definitely more straightforward and less devious than that shown in Nelson. A couple of no 3 Camalots would not be too much on the 4" 5.10 section of pitch 5 and a no. 5 Camalot would actually allow you to protect the 5.10 moves on the second pitch. Cheers

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hey Kevin; The word on Gato Negro is zip as far as I know. Doubt anyone else has been up there. For what it is worth I can post the first page since it is smaller but I'll need help from Larry to shrink the file of the second page so I can post the topo on CC.com. In the mean time there is copy at the guide shop in Maz. Geoff no doubt destroyed his copy in order to raise the adventure factor when he ever gets around to climbing it. Recall that it went at IV 5.10+, 11 pitches, 4 pitches of 5.10 and a lot of fun 5.7/8 hand cracks. The splitter crack direct finish pitch is still awaiting an ascent as we wimped out to the scary 5.6 finish due to the hour. We left the car at 5am and got back at 10pm. Route lies on west face of Silver Star N ridge right of the wine spires on it's own separate tower we named Whine Spire since our feet were giving us serious fits at the end. Descent is down the big gully seperating the Whine Spire form Silver Star to the S. It appears to still have snow which I would say is necessary for a fast safe descent. Would love to hear from others who go there. I'll work on posting the topo.

5a1a55953f60d_203194-GatoNegrop1.thumb.jpg.33a8f8f1f45d69cd8b52a796b21e37c3.jpg

scott_johnston said:

Hey Kevin; The word on Gato Negro is zip as far as I know. Doubt anyone else has been up there. For what it is worth I can post the first page since it is smaller but I'll need help from Larry to shrink the file of the second page so I can post the topo on CC.com. In the mean time there is copy at the guide shop in Maz. Geoff no doubt destroyed his copy in order to raise the adventure factor when he ever gets around to climbing it. Recall that it went at IV 5.10+, 11 pitches, 4 pitches of 5.10 and a lot of fun 5.7/8 hand cracks. The splitter crack direct finish pitch is still awaiting an ascent as we wimped out to the scary 5.6 finish due to the hour. We left the car at 5am and got back at 10pm. Route lies on west face of Silver Star N ridge right of the wine spires on it's own separate tower we named Whine Spire since our feet were giving us serious fits at the end. Descent is down the big gully seperating the Whine Spire form Silver Star to the S. It appears to still have snow which I would say is necessary for a fast safe descent. Would love to hear from others who go there. I'll work on posting the topo.

Dont shrink shit if you dont want to. I can post it here for you without the restrictions. Send personal message. I am interested in the line. bigdrink.gifthumbs_up.gif