Climber of the Month June

Peter_Puget

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I had planned on putting mor einfo on Pete in the post but lost track of time. The Superpin climb (11d R) was I believe not preinspected and an amazing feat. Read Touch The Sky for more details. TTS is the Piana guide to the Needle and on another thread was claimed to be one of the best guidebooks ever.

PP bigdrink.gif

Petey Puget.....this topic sort of seems like a cheap rip-off of my original "Alpine Buddy of the Week" concept, which lasted only a couple of weeks before being hijacked and turned to crap by the local smart-asses. If I recall, the effortlessly cool MattP was the first Alpine Buddy and he was awarded this rare honor due to his being effortlessly cool.

Question: if our own accomplished MattP was Alpine Buddy of the Week at one time, why does this unknown character you present deserve a title such as "Climber of the Month"? Why for a month, and why the month of June? "Nonsense!", I say!

I need answers!

- Dwayner bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif (And no, those beers aren't for you.....they're for me.)

Edited by Dwayner

Ah the main similarity between the “Alpine Buddy of the Week” and Climber of the Month (this is the second month actually - So Cal climber Rick Accomazo was the first. Go check out his thread and read the interview!) is that both threads are “being hijacked and turned to crap by the local smart-asses” grin.gif

PP bigdrink.gif

Who the hell cares about this character or the guy from last month. I'd rather go climb myself than wank about some other dude climbing.

I dont recall this alpine buddy of the month thing, but at least if it's about people we know doing shit locally it's somewhat interesting.

Well I would suggest that some people would never care about either the Alpine Buddy of the Week of the Climber of the Month. I can offer you some of the reasons I care.

1. It’s just fun for me to find out about what others are doing. Whether they are 5 or 5,000 miles away.

2. It is fun to learn how our climbing “traditions” came to be and how the people who helped develop them actually thought about the whys and the hows of climbing.

3. It is fun to learn about the climbing traditions/history of an area before I go and climb there.

The reasons listed above are all centered around “fun” but there are practical reasons too. For example when I learn about Tom Higgens and how he viewed climbing I can make good guesses as to how his route will be protected. Same goes for Chris Cantwell. Tom’s would tend to be runout and Chris’s well protected.

Learning about the great Russian climbers inspires me to become a better climber.

I say: Dwayner revive that Alpine Buddy of the Week!

PP

bigdrink.gif