Forbidden W. Ridge Descent

chilco

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

chilco said:

wondering if I can get down the W. Ridge Colouir via rappels with one rope. Guide book states a couple of options - which one is recommended? Are there rap stations that are obvious?

Thanks

If there is enough snow, downclimbing might be an option, as mentioned. However, the snow is sun-exposed, so gets very sloppy soft as the day wears on...

I went the route in early June one year with one rope, and the rap anchors for the route really were not set up well for single-rope descent back then. We rapped off jammed knots etc. I would suggest you bring a light 45m 7mm rap cord and just do the double rope raps from the semi-decent anchors.

As mentioned, the snow gully is down-climb-able until the snow melts out seriously. I've done it twice.

Also, the rock gully that is immediately to the west of it can be rappelled with a single rope, quite obvious. An alternate if there is too much traffic in the snow gully. To get to it, descend from the notch, continue straight down instead of heading east (left) to get to the snow gully.