Ever feel too prepared?

Bill_Simpkins

I can't even count how many times I've brought an axe and not used it at all. I'd rather have it and not need than need it and not have it. I'm surprised there aren't more accidents or deaths in the mountains w/ tourons getting on some somewhat steep snow slopes w/ no clue. Several years ago I saw 2 guys most of the way up to the lookout on Three Fingers on a steep snowfield w/ tennis shoes and no axes. Kinda scary. Sometimes I intend to "just hike" and end up climbing and sometimes the opposite happens, so I try to find the medium between too much gear and not enough gear. Planning on doing a quick trip up Pilchuck after work one day this week.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ScottP said:

thelawgoddess said:

i've passed people on the way to muir in a t-shirt and sandals and no pack whatsoever. talk about UNprepared!!! damned tourists ...

Did your feet get cold?

when i was a kid (about 7 or 8) i went nearly to muir (runnign ahead of my 'rents) until some dood in full regalia kindly turned me back... i was kinda fliipin teh guy some 'tude... cause it was blue bird and i was just goin for a hike... tho' even to this day i wish that fucker didn't turn me back... would have been cool... turn around and tell the 'rents i got to muir... and they didn't even get to the end of the pavement... yellaf.gif i didn't have shit with me xept soem aviators, white washed jeans, nikes and a california raisins sweatshirt! woulda been killer! (mabe litterally) yellaf.gif

Those fahqin trips when you hump a whole shitload of rock gear into some remote place, then something happens like you just get too beat up on the hike in, or it rains, or you just freak out or both. Then have to hump the whole shitload back out after not having put a harness on the whole trip. I feel overprepared on those trips. madgo_ron.gif

chucK said:

Those fahqin trips when you hump a whole shitload of rock gear into some remote place, then something happens like you just get too beat up on the hike in, or it rains, or you just freak out or both. Then have to hump the whole shitload back out after not having put a harness on the whole trip. I feel overprepared on those trips. madgo_ron.gif

Phukkin a! I have been making less and less of these type of trips over the seasons. I'm working it to a science on my part but they are bound to happen every now and then.

It's the worst too. Often I find deleting bivy equipment and warming items like sweaters or replacing it with lighter stuff is the main key. The second key is the rack and rope for me. Not sure how everyone else looks at it. Obviously it will vary.

I just got me a summer bivy setup for 2 - Betamid and getting bug net with it soon. That's one setup that has already made some changes.

bigdrink.gif

Another thing is I carry less comfort gear to be helpful. The definition will vary according to the person though.

I get some pretty weird looks when I go hiking/scrambling in my VANS. This one chick at work thinks I'm completely nuts for routinely doing the Tiger Cable Line (during winter) with a 50 pound pack wearing Vans. I've also done the approach to Liberty Bell and gone most of the way up Ingalls in the things. They're so comfy! They completely suck ass at traction though. I suppose since I work at REI, I should really get some light hikers. Oh well.