Conditions in Liberty Bell Area

dmcnair

We're planning a climb on SW Buttress of S. Early Winter Spire for the weekend of May 30.  Anyone climb on SEW or Liberty Bell over the Memorial Day Weekend?  Any information on conditions would be appreciated.  Any snow on rock?

Thanks

Edited by dmcnair

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody been on South Early Winter Spire, Direct East Butttress yet this year? I'm wondering if it is dry and snow free yet. Also wondering about the NW Corner North Early Winter Spire, but somehow I doubt that is in yet.

Anyone know?

I climbed the Direct E. Buttress of S. Early Winter Spire yesterday. The route is in excellent shape. No snow on the route and you can approach from the hairpin on snow all the way to the start of the route. (head straight up to right side of buttress, don't go left). What a stellar route. The only downside to the route is aiding the 5.11 sections (I can't lead that high and I find bolt ladders boring), but other than that this route rocks. Excellent free climbing on excellent rock. ***** East face of Liberty Bell is probably totally dry as well.

As far as snow in the area goes, it's warm and cornices were crashing and causing little avalanches everywhere. The snow really is mush around there. And as far as camping goes, the first campground you hit driving towards mazama is mostly empty and totally free. Gotta love that. Anyone know how long that lasts?