Sherpas

epb

No offense lambone...but I hate the ideal that tourism = economic prosperity. At least in countries where the land and environment are rich. First off because a countries economic prosperity and modernization does not necessarily mean health and well being for its people. I would hate to see the beauty and culture of Nepal modernized into a land fill we consider the first world. Look at Thailand, perfect example of what modernization and tourism (not necessarily interrelated) can do to a country...sure it gave some wealth to the country, however it also gave extreme poverty to the country as well since the wealth was not evenly distributed...and it never will be in any case. Then look at Laos which is nearly equivalent to what Thailand was 100 years go...when compared I believe it is obviously apparent what modernization and tourism can do for a country...destroy it.

As far as the whole thing about talking to kids in Nepal and asking them whether they would want to live in an America or a modernized Nepal rather than their current Nepal....of course they would say America or give a thumbs up to modernization. America is a pipe dream for them, just as it was for early (and current) refugees. However, what did and do refugees find when they come to America...more poverty. The Hmong refugees I work with here are a perfect example...everyone of them that is old enough to remember their home in Asia before the war had once were sold on the fantasy of America and the luxurious lifestyle that modernization could offer. However, today there are few who would not give up everything they had here to go back to their old ways. Unfortunately that is impossible for them now.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I'll offend Lambone.

Fuck all those loser Sherpas and Porter from Balti or wherever. They live in the stone age. I dont care about their lives any more than the last idiot that wrote a book and ripped them off by paying them 2$ a week to slog up some mountain.

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

agreed...or just they're just puss wankers who couldn't pull anything off without them carrying all their shit, so they justify hiring them for that 2 dollars a week by claiming it to be in the name of economic prosperity (for the sherpas that is). rolleyes.gif" border="0

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

Those porters (who according to a documentary on Porter Abuse I just saw at the Banff Film Fest are not Sherpas at all but lowland Nepalis) are making peanuts because they are getting screwed over by local trekking companies.

They should organize, unionize, and strike. And some big Western companies like Patagucci should ante up the cash for the strike fund so they can afford to sit out the time it will take to makethe companies play along until they get fair wages and better working conditions (like tents to sleep in and proper clothing) out of them.

As for me I say bring in mules or llamas or whatever. This [big Drink] is the only porter I abuse. tongue.gif" border="0 1996!

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Dru ]

what's wrong woth the Banif Film Festival? I've never been, but it always looked like it would be a good time. Did anyone catch that film "Berzerker" about that Norweign kid sailing to Antartica on some suicide mission, I guess it won the climbers choice award. I was wondering what the story was with that kid's mission.

I went to the Best of the Fest when it came to Mission last week - nothing else going on that night.

Saw that "Berserk in the Antarctic" film it kicked ass! Cinema verite no overpriced camera crews or product placements just 3 insane guys in a little boat with a hand held digital camera, icebergs and elephant seals.

I stil think the VIMFF is better and this year Chris Sharma is gonna come and lecture on how smoking blunts got him up a 15a. Word! grin.gif" border="0 1998!!

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Dru ]

quote:

Originally posted by epb:
No offense lambone...but I hate the ideal that tourism = economic prosperity. At least in countries where the land and environment are rich. First off because a countries economic prosperity and modernization does not necessarily mean health and well being for its people. I would hate to see the beauty and culture of Nepal modernized into a land fill we consider the first world. [ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: epb ]

Well, by no means did I say that tourism has led to economic prosperity in Nepal. I only said that it is their major source of income, do you disagree with that??? With out any type of modernization, Nepal faces depelating their natural reasources. There second major source of income is in the export of raw materials, of which they have few of significant value. So I suppose you would rather see it turn into a deforested strip mine than a industrial landfil... confused.gif" border="0

[ 12-06-2001: Message edited by: Lambone ]