East of the crest climbs?

MdwestMac

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yea, the snow levels are staying pretty low thru the week (3000f-4500f), avy rating for the weekend is considerable changing to moderate below 7000f FWTIW, not alot of precip coming our way, sunny wednesday and thursday. Are you shy of snow or rain? If rain then you could hedge your bets and go for Silver Star of hwy 20 East of Washington Pass, you'll have to approach from that side because the pass may or may not be open. If you do go there, let me know which approach you take. I might go soon and would appreciate a report on conditions.

BG

Shuksan is pretty sweet tho

Cascadian Couloir on Stuart, Colchuck Peak via Colchuck Glacier, Dragontail via Asgard Pass are all moderate and east of the crest. Washington Pass (if open) offers some other possibilites as well: SW Couloir on South Early Winter Spire, Silver Star mountain.

Those are some great suggestions. Thanks very much! We are not shy of snow. In fact I relish snow. I live in Minneosta and it was a very dry winter so I am dreaming of snow. It sounds like the avy coniditions might mellow out later this weekend which would rock. We are a party of 6 planning to climb Shuksan this weekend- and then 2 of us were planning to hit either Alpine lakes region or Boston Basin area in the later part of the week.... Thoughts?

As far as Boston Basin is concerned, the Cascade River road is gated at mile marker 20 which means you either have a 3 or an 8 mile hike/ski in (I can't remember) just to the parking lot, so allow for that. If you go I may see you up there. I'm going in towards the Middle Cascade Glacier. I'll be the one in the camoflaged Unimog...

bigdrink.gif

BG

Oh, I forgot to mention, the weather out here can change in a heartbeat...sorry. We're getting drenched out here in the Islands. Hope it is not so bad up on Shuksan crazy.gifSome how I don't think that is so.

Damn, I was looking forward to sunny days coming up,wed-fri, so I could head up to the Middle Cascade Glacier and Formidable/Spider or up North to Challenger. cry.gif If HWY 20 is open it looks like I will have to head over to Mazama. Any one want to go, climb/ski/hike? smile.gif