best ski area in cali

Charlie

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been to Mammoth Lakes area to ski but heard it is stellar so besides that up near Tahoe: Sierra at Tahoe, Heavenly, Sugar Bowl, Mt Rose and Alpine Meadows are all good homes to powder. You need to check and make sure there is a good base though. I would suggest in late January time frame is the best time to visit.

They are pretty darn expensive though. I believed Sugar Bowl and Mt Rose have the best deals out og the lot.

WeRdUpYo!

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

Mammoth Lakes is one of the best places to ski in CA midweek. Weekends can be crowded on the more popular runs, more so than in WA, but there are so many lifts and skiable acres there it can be avoided if you know where to go. June mountain is often overlooked in favor of Mammoth as it is a bit more family oriented. June is definately less crowded, so that is a big plus in my mind.

Tahoe has lots of great areas, my favorite of which is Squaw Valley. If you time it right, you can get a ~2.5 mile run as your last run of the day! They picked Squaw as the host of the winter Olypics about 40 years ago for a reason.

There are a couple of so-so places in southern CA, not too far from Josh, if you have to get some runs in or want to let your hands heal for a day or two. Snow Summit and Bear Mountain are in Big Bear, CA (about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from Josh). Mountain High is about the same distance but on the back side of the San Gabriel mtns. There tends to be a lot more man made ice, er snow, at these two spots than in Tahoe or Mammoth.

Since you'll be down in CA, you should also check out the climbing at the high desert areas and the devils punchbowl. Williamson (45 minutes from Pasadena) will probably be a bit too cold this time of year, though is worthwhile to visit if you are in the area in the summer

gev

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Gerg ]

Yo Charlie,

It's Don, the dude you bought the "perfect-fit" snug top from.

I second, third, whatever the Mammoth recomendations. I'm in Tahoe for a week-ish in Dec., plan on boarding Alpine Meadows, drop in if it's on your way.

last I talked you were thinking of a winter trip up Rainier. Got some room?? I hear Gib Ledges could go w/ less (comparatively) risk. Let me know, got a hankering for some winter stuff.

Don