Ratings

Peter_Puget

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems to me the area you start climbing always has the correct ratings and every other area you visit is either hard or soft for the grade. or both at once like at j-tree where the 5.9s on shorter wall are easier than the 5.7s on DQ wall confused.gif" border="0 never did figure out what up with that!

Dru and Charlie both make really good points. I think three or four things determine how an areas ratings compare.

1. Era when most of the routes were established (climbing some pre-1970 5.9s will confirm this one)2. The type of climbing as compared to your "home area". I learned on the steep, short, sandpaper friction of southeastern sandstone with positive crimpers and open handed slopers...my first tangles with smeary granite slabs were desperate, likewise with basalt stem-jobs and endless parallel desert cracks.

3. The nature of the routes (sport/trad/mixed). Most folks would agree that a 5.8 Valley crack is likely to feel harder than a 5.8 Vantage clip-up.

4. The strengths of the local climbers. A load of well traveled locals seems to help zero in on a proper grading. I've been on stuff that kicked my ass and then romped up something rated much harder simply because I wasn't good at the style required. If I'd been putting it up as a FA, I'd undoubtely have rated it harder than it should have been.

That being said, I think it's a no-brainer as to where the best ratings are. Two places:

A. Wherever you're lucky enough to be climbing at the time

B. YDS = Yosemite Decimal System, enough said.

Once wink.gif" border="0 If Ed Cooper and T.M. Herbert say it is 5.8 then so be it

Also some other climbs in mind. Princely Ambitions 5.8 as well as Mambo Jambo, the chimney on Town Crier, Inca Roads.

Oh yeah and that chimney on the south face of Prusik (Beckey) is 5.7 too. tongue.gif" border="0 You know the one that has no pro in it wink.gif" border="0 The last 15 foot thin hands pitch is 5.8 too. Great rock climbs!

[ 11-05-2001: Message edited by: Cpt.Caveman ]

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:
Fair enough, originally given 5.8 I might be confused, but I'd swear I've seen that given 5.9 somewhere. There's really only five or six ratings anyway: 5.easy, 5.hard, 5.awkward, 5.fun, 5.dirty, 5.scary....

To be truthfull it really is 5.9 if you asked my opinion. I was just bsing.

Some grades are harder than others (sounds like a U2 song line smile.gif" border="0 ). Case in point, when 5.12 was the upper limit of the YDS a lot of routes that would get rated 5.12 today got rated 11+. For instance the last pitch of Daily Planet (crux, 12b) was given 11+ by Perry Beckham, as was the first pitch of u wall (12a today) by Hamish Frasert and im certain there are more well known examples in washington.

these days when everybody wants to pad their resume looks like its going the other way, 'grading for the onsight' and soft grades in general.

funny at squamish, mclane keeps bumping things up a grade, lots of soft grades now. when howie richardson took over the skaha guidebook he bumped a lot of 10as down to 5.9s and a lot of 11as diown to 10ds and so on and now the grades seem spot on.

SC -

I agree with you as far as the Tuff at Smith goes and your right the climbing is remarkable similar on alot of the routes;however, the ratings seem inconsistant between the gorge and rest of the Park. I was going to post that my vote would go for the Pinnacles in CA which is kinda like Smith.

Yes yes, Peter Puget, you must drop the gorge entirely out. Else the ratings become a mess.

The gorge is hard, eh? It has it's own aesthetics and protocols; really an entirely different area, hardly having any basis for mention in the same breath as Smith Rocks. But lovely! My original comment only took into account the "other" Smith!

Dru - I agree with your assesment of Squamish. Back 20+ years ago I always thought the ratings were stiff now they seem much easier. I think consistency is hardest part of ratings. For example Red Nails is way harder than the first pitch of Daily Planet and it's a tiny route. Someone should rerate that guy!

Get off the numbers kick! Just because a climb is a 5.8 doesn't mean it's going to climb like any other 5.8. Just use them as guides. Plus I have yet to ever climb at a place, and sometimes even the same wall, that the grading is consistent. It's done by people so it's never going to be the same.

One of the most difficult climb I ever did was a two-pitch mossfest 5.5 at Mount Erie with sketchy pro, long runouts and thorny rosebushes. It was rated in the 70s so obviously the top-end has changed and so have the ratings.

I've gone to many an undeveloped wall or gone around without a guidebook and done OK. The biggest thing I look for in beta is not nec. the difficulty but the pro placements.

quote:

Originally posted by plexus:
One of the most difficult climb I ever did was a two-pitch mossfest 5.5 at Mount Erie with sketchy pro, long runouts and thorny rosebushes. It was rated in the 70s so obviously the top-end has changed and so have the ratings.

Dirt is hard! As I mentioned before.....