South Sister Active?

chelle

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an area around S. Sister that's bulging at a rate of about 1-inch per year. Data from water sampling in the area is conclusive that there is magma underneath the bulge, but they haven't picked up any seismicity associated with magma movement. The USGS says that there doesn't appear to be anything imminent, and it nothing may happen, but they're starting to instrument the place in case. Get your runs in in the next couple of years just in case. Recent satellite measurements confirm continued uplift over the past year.

Check this page out:

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Volcanoes/Cascades/CurrentActivity/2001/current_updates_20010508.html

Thanks for checking guys. I found some time to dig deeper into the links from king5 and found this. An AP story from last week about new monitoring on the peak. They must have grown tired of talking about strange white powder and terror warnings...

http://www.kgw.com/kgwnews/oregonwash_story.html?StoryID=29625

No new activity, but apparently there's evidence that it is swelling -- about one inch a year.

The USGS currently has a system located up at Pine Marten lodge here at bachelor that is collecting data from the big BULGE. I had a chance to speak with the guy who is in charge of monitoring the activity, cuz he wanted to hook the computer into our network here to pull data via the net.

He said there hasn't been very much seismic activity from the area, and that has concerned them quite a bit. Apparently the bulge has risen over an inch this past year, and the geodudes would expect there to be alot of seismic activity involved with such movement from the earth. He said that they are worried that when its starts shakin, it just might all happen at once shocked.gif" border="0 but more than likely it will be a slow hot liquid magma flow, not an explosive eruption like hellens. How they know that, I don't have a clue, but when it does go, i'll have a good view.

better go back up my servers grin.gif" border="0