Slingfin Portal 2 Tent Review

olyclimber

Just a quick review of this Portal 2 tent I got from Slingfin.     I was looking for the lightest 2 person tent I could use a variety of conditions including in the rain and snow.  I read a bunch of other "reviews" or feedback on the tents available on the market and I ended up choosing a Slingfin Portal 2 just based on the design and the specs (its around 2 lbs, 14oz min weight).

It is not a cheap tent, but I'm super impressed with the thought and detailed design that went into it.  I think one of the guys involved (a super small operation of like 3 people) worked at Mountain Hardwear for a while.    What I mean by this is all the storage pockets in the tent. Or the fact that the zippers on the inner tent have a completely redundant set of zipper pulls in case the first pair go out. All the materials used seem to have been thought out with durability in mind.

Using the tent after watching the set up videos I came to appreciate that they really tested this thing in the worst conditions.  I was just up in the Olympics last weekend and it was a really good forcast, but this warm wind really started blowing and gusting hard.   With a tent this light I was surprised it stayed upright, though I did have it  guyed out to the max as I was testing the setup.   I thought it was overkill till that wind kicked up.   You can provide extra support for the lightweight poles with your trekking poles and I did that...and it was necessary.  I did order some thicker poles for it for use in the winter.

For me the size is perfect for me and my dog and all my crap I bring with me into the mountains. 

I know this probably sounds like some sort of puff piece, but I paid for this tent out my own pocket and I have nothing to do with this company other than I'm a customer.  I'm just stokked to have such a nice tent, and that they are making them.  I guess perhaps maybe this is just exactly what I wanted in a tent.  I've been using a BD First Light where I'd probably use this one, and though I have made some great memories in the Ol Yellow Taco, this thing is a spacious castle in comparison and also I can tell will be way better in the rain.

I guess the only thing to add is that I've only used the tent once so I can't speak anything that long term use would reveal, nor have I had to deal with the. company for any issues so I can't speak to their service.  But maybe worth putting this company on your list of ones to check out when you get your next tent.  They do make a couple that are more "mountaineering" and "climbing" focused, but my criteria was lightweight as possible and space with a small vestibule, so those didn't meet it.

Word from this gear whore.

IMG_6969.jpeg.3694ed4bc446fcec62d7ba07f9089468.jpegIMG_6996.jpeg.e83c49776c281c70e40473221f0d971b.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Rawk on! 1

If I wasn't so just focused on the weight (versus say durability or super shitty conditions), I would have probably considered the "Crossbow" or the "Hotbox" tents they have that are more like the trusty Taco (BD First Light) if it was designed with more attention to detail. But the Portal2 is my sweet spot these days.