First Time in the Pickets

pgowdy

Hey y'all -- considering taking my first trip into the Pickets this next weekend, and I'm looking for some recommendations on what might be some good objectives to tag. I've viewed the amazing page on Summit Post by Steph Abegg and others and am trying to get my bearings. Does anyone have any REALLY awesome recommendations -- peaks that they're particularly fond of? Details about what we're wanting out of a trip:

- 4 Full Days (Start Saturday early morning from TH, hike out Tuesday day)
- No preference between Southern or Northern pickets
- Something at least semi-technical -- open to great rock routes and feel comfortable on low/mid 10 alpine rock
- Would love to avoid bushwhacking, and would happily walk some extra miles (heard this can be tough to avoid in the pickets)

Would love to hear about some routes/trips y'all have enjoyed in the past!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its a neat range, lots to climb. Rock quality leaves much to be desired. For most folks, anything in the northern pickets will be a 2 day approach, 2 day deproach using any of the ways in. Allow 4 days to get in and out of high camp. There's not really any bushwhacking to get into either side of the range with the standard approaches. If I were doing something in the southern pickets, I'd search trip reports here, then supplement with Beckey guide and/or Nelson select guides. 

I would just do the southern zone and do the standard approach to terror basin/glacier (not below the mountain Terror, which is accessed from the next basin W, confusing). You can get in there in one day which allows you to climb a couple routes. I would climb the E ridge of Inspiration for one of your routes. Maybe something on the MacMillan Spires for the other one.