BD Cams - Single stem vs. U-Loop

b-rock

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
Peter_Puget said:

I read that the double axle patent expire in 2004. Does that mean there will be lots of choices in producers and prices coming in less than a year - if you like the double axle design.

PP bigdrink.gif

So it looks like we may be able to buy some cheaper BD cams soon. I wonder who will jump on this first. If I made cams I would be ready to ship some camalot look alikes on the first day the patent expires. I doubt it would be too hard to beat the $60-$112 for a camalot (shit, who can afford those #5s anyway), and still have comparable quality.

I actually like those old BD double axle cams. I think they are easier for cleaning. If you take a piece of 1-1.5 mm accessory cord and run it through the finger pull to the cross piece at the end of the double axles (opposite the cams), you have a few extra inches to work with in the crack. Also, you only have one piece to pull with a cleaning tool as opposed to one on each side with a single axle design.