randonee/AT setups?

glen

Considering swtiching over from the Dark Side (snowboarding) to skis. AT setups seem a bit better to me than telemark as my knees and tele skiing havn't gotten along that well in the past. Curious if there are any recommendations out there for a good intro setup, and a good way to get set up for not too much dough. Looking to do primarily b/c in the cascades, so a setup that won't ice up too badly, and will handle crud. My skiing abilities are pretty meager so high performance will probably be more of an issue in a later set of skis after the first set have been beat to death and I have a better idea of what I want.

thanks! wave.gif

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glen,

You might check out cascade crags right now as they are having a 20% off sale on many different items including skis, bindings, boots, etc

Retail Store

They are selling the K2 8611 which is a decent entry level ski, then pair it up with some fritschi's and some scarpa boots your good to go. many other models as well, including the Tua Sumo which is a good BC ski and good rec as well

My .02

Talk to mike there as well, he is very informed

Check out www.mec.ca, there is a gear swap on the site and with your mighty american dollar you can probably get a pretty good deal.

Boots - if your skiing ability is intermediate, a stiffer boot will be better, however it could mean a compromise on weight and touring comfort.

Bindings - I only have hands on experience with the Diamir II's. I like em. If you are a bigger guy and might be using them at a resort often, consider the Freerides, they have a higher din setting and will take much more abuse. Dynafit would be the lightest by far.

Skis - The wider the better, but once again a weight compromise. I just picked up a pair of Elan Mantis 777's, 117-90-107.

Poles - save yourself $100 and buy a NON TELESCOPING pair out of the bargain bin at the ski shop. I have a pair I paid $15 for four years ago and have skied with them probably 200 days. They're simple, reliable and if I bust one, big schmeal.

Hope that helps!

You need to ask yourself if your emphasis is up (climbing, rock, mixed ) and you want to learn a new skill, go tele. If you value more down (skiing ) than up then AT suits you better. Fritschis and Denalis have worked good for me in all but very technical climbing up and down.This gear is comfortable and versatile althoug I hardly ever see it on sale. See you in the hills !!!

Telescoping Poles rock! For me, the pole height for poling uphill is nowhere near the same pole position as for downhills. Don't bother with probe poles though - they're the biggest ripoff out there right now. Hell you probably have "trekking poles", right? Just use those.