Calf excercise during squats?

My podunk little gym out here in the sticks doesn't have any calf specific machines. The leg press is limited to 400 pounds so that doesn't do much for my calfs. I have tried various methods of putting weight on my back and working both (that just makes my back sore) or one which causes twisting, is awkward and I feel is a bit dangerous.

I am training with heavy weights to improve my power to weight ratio. ( Due to my weight, I need lots of power wink.gif ) I have tried doing 1/4 squats (partial reps) at a good cadence and then instead of locking off the knee I flex the calf to push higher. I have also tried putting a 1 X 6 under the balls of my feet to further move my calfs. I have found that I get some conditioning of both calfs and quads when I work with more than 600 pounds on a smith machine.

I have never seen this exercise done, nor have I seen it in any books, but it seems to work. My question is, do any of you workout guru's think this is dangerous or improper if I take the normal precautions of working with heavy weights? Do you think it's a good idea? I really am a novice when it comes to lifting and the local workout dudes and dudettes don't seem to know much about lifting for training purposes. They just lift so they can look better naked.

Thanks - TG

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're doing it on a machine (not real familiar with them) I don't see any problem or have anything to add.

Doing calf raises with free weights, most prefer to perform them at the top of a dead lift as it keeps the center of gravity lower than performing it with a squat. Doing calf raises with the barbell on your shoulders is a good way to work on your balance, but can be hazzardous if you tip over.

Another good "compound" exercise is to hold a barbell straight over your head with elbow's locked, squat down until your heels touch your ass then try to explode up keeping your elbows locked. It seems to work my balance a lot more for the same reason (higher center of gravity) also highly recomend the "push press", it's an ass kicker. ooooh yeah and the farmer's carry.........

Edited by Bronco

Standing calf raises are a great way to strengthen your calves. I might suggest doing them as a seperate exercise versus including them with your squats. You might be doing it to save time, but I think you'll find if you do them one after the other you'll be able to push more weight around.

Also, if you only do 1/4 squats, rather than going through a full range of motion, you're not allowing the muscle to develop to its full strength potential in that last 3/4 of its ROM.

On the flipside, going all the way down so your butt touches your heels loads your knees and their respective ligaments quite severely. The recommended ROM for a squat is standing to femur parallel with the floor. Knees take enough abuse from the stuff we do...I like to try to give 'em a break as much as possible.

What about doing calf raises on the edge of a stair? That's how I've always done them.

Terminal if you're pushing 400 lbs on the machine, you're a harde man and probably don't need to work those calves any further. Just drink some more beer to give the rest of us a chance to catch up. bigdrink.gif

And then there's always 1-legged calf raises (using the Smith machine, leg press, Nautilus, hack squat machine or dumbbells) -- excellent way to make sure each leg is developing evenly, and especially useful if you're limited by a certain amount of weight available for use in a certain gym. Be sure to vary the reps/weight scheme (sometimes train for power, other times train for endurance) to maximize both.

Thanks, Courtenay. I actually did a bit of slouth work and found that there is this wealthy guy in town that has a private dream gym with all the weight I could want; and a calf machine. smile.gif He has made it availible to me. I had an in, He is a sculptor and my wife models for him.

One question; I am trying to increase power, my endurance is okay for now. That being said, if one wants to increase both; is it appropriate to alternate during a work out, from week to week or go through a couple month power phase and then work on an endurance phase. The later is what I had intended.

Thanks for the suggestion, ehmmic. But you and I both know I already drink plenty of beer for the both of us. wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

<<I am trying to increase power, my endurance is okay for now. That being said, if one wants to increase both; is it appropriate to alternate during a work out, from week to week or go through a couple month power phase and then work on an endurance phase. The later is what I had intended. >>

Interesting you should ask this, because one of the programs people use for climbing is the model 4-3-2-1 (endurance, power, power-endurance and recovery, each in weeks) that I myself have had people try in the past. HOWEVER, another school of thought (Dave Tate / Louie Simmons of powerlifing fame) believes that including appropriate amounts of strength, endurance, power and other sport-specific components on a regular basis is better than long times between components. In other words, look at what's lacking in your program and spend more time bringing up the weaknesses. If you feel your calves need more power for dynos, you're going to want to include hops and maybe jumping rope to give them that burst you'll need with bodyweight only; if you need strength for strenuous alpine routes carrying a heavy backpack, then you'll need to do the latter. Finally, to cover all the bases, you could do something like a 5, 10 and 20 rep scheme (heavy, moderate and endurance) to hit as many of the fibers as possible. Best is to try a variety and see what works best for you.

What would be the recommended stretching exercise for calf mulscles?

I keep my feet flat, bend over, touch my hands to the floor, and try to pull my chest towards my kneecaps. (No, I do not touch my chest to my kneecaps.) I would like to know if this is the proper way to stretch the calfs or if there is a better way.

Uh, if both your legs are straight, then this actually is a hamstring stretch more so than calves. Try standing on the edge of a stair (as though you're going to do calf raises) and drop both (or one at a time) heels down toward the floor, keeping a very slight bend in the knees and tightening the glutes so you feel the stretch all the way up the backside of the legs. Another calf stretch is to stand facing a wall and place the toes of the right foot against the wall (right heel maybe 5-6 inches away from the wall) and then try getting the right knee closer to the wall -- oof, VERY good stretch. Try 'em.