Where's the best ice and bc skiing?

arluk

I know about Hyalite, Provo canyon and can rockies but I don't

consider the Banff area good bc skiing except maybe Roger Pass

which is a little too far and scary this year. What about the Tetons,

any good ice routes there other than alpine routes? Cody has great ice

but can't think of any skiing nearby except Red Lodge maybe.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say that Colorado or Salt Lake City is your best bet, although I'm not to familiar with that area. Or Alaska, my good friend lives in Valdez and skis and climbs gnarly ice all the time.

I think Cody has the best waterfall ice climbing in the lower 48. But there arn't many good in-bounds ski areas. Red Lodge is at least an hour or so north. The mountains around there are sick though, so you could easily hike to some killer terrain. Cooke City wyoming has some of the Best bc skiing around anywhere, the Beartooths are spectacular.

Jakson Hole doesn't have much waterfall ice as far as I know. But the Tetons and Wind Rivers kick but over any mountains in the Rockies.

Of course, Canada is the meca of ice climbing, and if you lived there I don't know why you'd ever go skiing for fun...

Hyalite is beuatiful (I'm biased), but Bozeman is quickly reaching its carrying capacity. They are going about developing that town all wrong, and if it continues to grow at the same rate they will be facing some serious issues in the future. Plenty of backcountry powder, but you'll find lines at all the classic ice routes on the weekends...

Anywhere is better than Michigan! rockband.gif

Hey Bone, not to be picky, but Cook City is in Montana at the NE entrance of Yellowstone and on the other side of beartooth pass from Red Lodge, MT. As for ice in Jackson, there is actually some decent waterfall ice in the area. Also, Jackson right now probably has more descent snow than almosty anywhere in the Rockies except maybe Snowbird, unless you go to Snowshoe, WV where they are getting dumped on. CHeck out this PDF .

Double Bullshit Bone, You don't have to go through Wyoming to get to Cook City if your travelling down 89 from Bozeman, though you do have to go through the Park. Second, The Winds and the Tits aren't the best mtn's in the Rockies, even assuming you mean the American Rockies. The Beartooths and the Bighorns are!

And best ice / bc bet would be to hit Banff then drive down to Fernie or Nelson. Kootenais rockband.gif

Ed, last time I checked Yellowstone National Park was in Wyoming. You cross the boarder as you pass through Gardner and into the Lamar Valley. Then you cross the boarder again before Cooke City. Same as from the otherside, the MT Wyoming boarder is up on Beartooth Pass...but whatever...if you think you are right than so be it, it doesn't matter.

Also, have you been into the Winds? Don't get me wrong, the Beartooths are badass, but the Winds are unmatched. I guess it depends on your value system, and what your indicators of "the best" mountain ranges are. The Beartooths definately have the big plateau/deep glacial valley thing covered, but the granite in the Winds blows the Beartooths out of the water. I've never been into the BigHorns, but the area is so much smaller that I wouldn't even include them in the comparison.

cheers mate bigdrink.gif

Oh, you guys must not know about that secret shortcut road you can take through the Park from Gardiner to Cook that doesn't go through Wyoming....

Beartooths more untouched and wild than Winds. Better skiing, better ice climbing and probably more potential for rock FAs there than Winds. Only problem is all those fucking snowmobiles around Cook City in the winter, unless they're giving you rides into the climbing or skiing.