How Light is too Light?

Bronco

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bronco: I have almost the same jacket as that Dragonfly. It's an earlier model from Patagonia, different colors but same design and I think same material (doesn't say exactly on the tag). It was the same price as the Dragonfly, but I'd say it was worth it. I've used it climbing, backcountry skiing, hiking, running, everywhere. It's been my primary shell jacket in fact. It's so light and compact that I don't mind taking it along on climbs.

It doesn't have all the features I'd like: pit zips, pockets, etc. but I've found it to be as waterproof and breathable as I need. In a total downpour you'll get a little wet, but snow hasn't been a problem and wind is no problem at all.

It's a great jacket for alpine, anything multi-pitch, even milder volcanoe routes.

I recommend it.

• 2 weeks later...

So I stopped in the Pattagucci shop last yesterday in Seattle and checked the Dragonfly out. It appears to be made out of crepe paper with a DWR over it. Even on sale, I couldn't pull the trigger, this may be too light, indeed. thumbs_down.gif

Coincentally, this weekend I also came to the conclusion that all of the most light weight, high tech stuff in the universe won't help me.

AARON1 said:

Has anyone tried the Mountain Hard ware Tempest SL Jacket?

DFA has the Tempest jacket. Granted, he isn't using it to thrash up alpine sufferfests, but it's been a swell piece. It's compact enough to take along just in case, and it stays dry in pretty heavy downpour conditions. Swell wind shell too for those breezy days. The lightweight fabric probably wouldn't take much abuse, though.

As Nelly said earlier:

Bronco: I have almost the same jacket as that Dragonfly. It's an earlier model from Patagonia, different colors but same design and I think same material

I took a look at the Dragonfly today and it is NOT the same material as my jacket. It is quite a bit lighter actually. The design, cut and features are identical though. I don't know why they went lighter, my jacket is very packable and lightweight (balls up a bit bigger than a fist), offers good protection and is tough enough to take some heinious chimneys and offwidths with very little damage. Looks like they made a poor "improvement" in the search for better numbers (ounces) to me. thumbs_down.gif