• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
kmehrtens

GoPro on Denali

I know that a lot of people have taken their GoPros to Denali, plenty of videos. I have never owned one but I am looking to buy one (Hero Black 5) for next summer May/June on the West Buttress.

What is everyone's experience with them?

How is the battery life?

I know storage depends on quality.

I am looking to charge the batteries via a Goal Zero.

Any advice?

Thanks.

My experience with GoPros is everyone's climbing footage makes me sea sick. Some enterprising engineer should build a gyroscopic stabilizing base for those things.

I've found that using these as a regular camera yields the best results while climbing. POV footage, especially while on a route like the W butt, is generally too shaky and boring to be pleasurable while watching. Holding the camera and hand holding pano shots in critical spots (fixed lines, the ridge from 16-17k) should give you some sweet footage that you can splice together for a good "best hits" video of your trip. Have fun up there buddy!

Ditto to what others have said. I bought a GoPro specifically for Denali and i wish I would have put the money to upgrading my phone instead for pics and video. The newest ones might be an improvement over the one I have, but the sound was very muffled inside the waterproof case and footage super shaky, so most of the footage I took was not worth watching.

you're climbing a real mountain, get a real camera. Seriously, the GoPro has its place, but not for quality photography of big landscapes. Denali is a big landscape, you will want to zoom and get a broad scope of focal distances. I think most Go Pro images turn out looking like junk. Spend $300 and get a solid point and shoot with at least a 5x zoom and you will be way more satisfied in the end.

Thanks for everyone's comments. I am also planning to take my wide-angle Canon S100 point and shoot camera too but I wasn't sure about additional video.