[TR] Chair Peak Circumnavigation - 12/25/2009

ilookeddown

Trip: Chair Peak Circumnavigation -

Date: 12/25/2009

Trip Report:

Weather was looking good so my friend Steve and I decided to do the Chair Peak Circumnavigation. We had both done it a few times but being a low snow year so far we decided it would be best to stick to something we know. We arrived at Alpental mid morning under fog but we were able to get above it at about 4,500ft. Once we reached the notch between Bryan and Chair we changed over and skied down to Melakwa Lake. I managed to release a small slab of wind deposited snow (9” crown 20ft wide) downhill from a little roller. We changed back to skins and made our way up the valley to Melakwa Pass. The ski down to Chair Lake was wonderful powder that never gets effected by the sun. Most of the other slopes on this tour do get some sun so it was either little crusty or wet powder. Once we skied down to Snow Lake we were in the fog again. The wind also picked up so we had to fight an extremely cold head wind across the lake. We gained the Snow Lake Divide we skied the tracked out slopes back to Alpental in the fog. It took us about 6 hours to do this tour and we never had to take our skis off. There is a good skin track in so if you are looking for tour this weekend hit it up.

Steve_1.JPG

cpcn_1.JPG

Steve_2.JPG

cpcn2.JPG

cpcn3.JPG

cpcn4.JPG

steve31.JPG

cpl_tracks.JPG

steve4.JPG

snow_lake_moon.JPG

Gear Notes:

ski crampons and skin wax useful