Buying Gear Online?

Use our price tool to find the best price on any piece or gear or clothing. Purchases using this tool support cc.com.

Supporting Sponsors
Pro Mountain Sports
Thermawrap Parka 12.8oz

CC.com Articles *READ ME!*
Intro to Ice Climbing
Intro to Back Country Skiing
Metolius Offset Review
Equipment for Alpinism
Showcase : Integral Designs Reflexion Bivy
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 83 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Supporting CC.com
Forum Stats
25783 Members
52 Forums
95815 Topics
1122132 Posts

Max Online: 627 @ 12/18/06 12:02 AM
Top TR Contributors
ivan 111
tvashtarkatena 99
off_the_hook 90
danhelmstadter 88
KaskadskyjKozak 86
JasonG 74
telemarker 68
Feck 67
wayne 60
G-spotter 56
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#880318 - 05/05/09 01:43 PM [TR] Mt. Shuksan - South West Face ski 4/30/2009
danhelmstadter Offline
addicted to cc.com

TRs: 88 Photos: 22
Loc: pnw
Trip: Mt. Shuksan - South West Face ski

Date: 4/30/2009

Trip Report:
I left the White Salmon parking area a touch late and dropped into the valley and skinned up the White Salmon Glacier on firm snow, partially following an old faded track. Then I took the connection to Curtis Glacier and Hells highway to the Sulphide, snow in this section was begining to soften and allowed steeper skinning. The weather was following its forecast, but the clouds seemed to thicken as I skinned towrds and part way up the summit pyramid where I switched to step kicking up the mash potatoe proto corn to the incredible summit. Views needless to say were incredble...

I had to downclimb a 3 foot rock band 5 feet below the exact summit, but other than that I was able to ski to the entrance of the chute (skiiers right). The snow was very fun to ski, a little on the manky side, but only a little and I skiied fall line down to the Sulfide arcing big turns to the entrance of the South West face.

I met two skiiers Eric and Shawn skinning up the Sulphide, they were stoked about the good corn conditions.

Here they are skinning towrds the summit:

I was a little nervous about dropping the SW face blind, as there are extensive cliffs at the bottom which might prove difficult to get through. However I was prepared to epic hard if need be, and I had studied various pictures, so I had a pretty good idea of what was below me. I found ripper corn dropping into the 4500' face...

I had to "use the force" as I skiied lower down, there were many big cliffs below, and I skiied several very steep and little chutes through trees as I weaved my way down thinking it will go, it will go. I came across some bear tracks - strange in such an area... With a little bit of luck, I found a way through the cliffs, although I did have to pack the skiis for a 40' stretch down some some steep rocky trees, safe passage of which was only possible because of vines and pines to use hang on to.

The gully:

The light was dwindleing, but I was not concerned, just very stoked to have skiied the face in such good conditions, and not haveing to epic hard - getting cliffed out at the bottom..

The arm was a mile or so and 2500' above, but the snow was moist, which made steep skinning possible.

I attained the arm as the last of the glowing red sun set, an experience wich will stay with me till the end of my days.

I skiied down the arm and through the resort and back to the truck on mostly manky frozen crusts with the aid of headlamp. Super stoked to have had such a rewarding smooth going alpine day. The same can not be said about an experience a few days later...

Edited by danhelmstadter (05/05/09 04:05 PM)

Help Support CascadeClimbers

Want to browse more deals? Check out our price comparison and deal finder tool!

#880321 - 05/05/09 02:00 PM Re: [TR] Mt. Shuksan - South West Face ski 4/30/2009 [Re: danhelmstadter]
Pete_H Offline
spray'prentice

TRs: 7 Photos: 186
Loc: Der
Niiice! You get new skis?

#880337 - 05/05/09 03:16 PM Re: [TR] Mt. Shuksan - South West Face ski 4/30/2009 [Re: Pete_H]
kc-climbs Offline
stranger

TRs: 1 Photos: 0
Way to get it! We followed some of your tracks to the summit on Friday, wondering who the solo artist was - we were right! Friday was equally as spectacular up there. Well done.

#880382 - 05/05/09 07:56 PM Re: [TR] Mt. Shuksan - South West Face ski 4/30/2009 [Re: danhelmstadter]
jared_j Offline
enthusiast

TRs: 0 Photos: 37
Loc: Trip planning
Dude, you skied the shit out of Shuksan lately. 3 days out of the last 6? Do you live up near there or something? I saw your tracks on the SW Face and was very impressed.

#880544 - 05/06/09 08:06 PM Re: [TR] Mt. Shuksan - South West Face ski 4/30/2009 [Re: jared_j]
danhelmstadter Offline
addicted to cc.com

TRs: 88 Photos: 22
Loc: pnw
I live in my camper truck, and I love the Glacier area! really cool locals around there. Hard to beat skiing Shuksan then hangin at Grahams listening to some live music by the wood stove with a cold one.

#880547 - 05/06/09 08:16 PM Re: [TR] Mt. Shuksan - South West Face ski 4/30/2009 [Re: danhelmstadter]
Skeezix Offline
veteran

TRs: 0 Photos: 3
Loc: Port Angeles
Quote:
I live in my camper truck, and I love the Glacier area! really cool locals around there. Hard to beat skiing Shuksan then hangin at Grahams listening to some live music by the woord stove with a cold one.

Quote of the day.

#881249 - 05/11/09 03:40 PM Re: [TR] Mt. Shuksan - South West Face ski 4/30/2009 [Re: Skeezix]
dave_b Offline
stranger

TRs: 0 Photos: 0
Nice TRs on Shuksan Dan. I had to create a CC account just cuz Amar said you were posting some cool stuff over hear. Glad you didn't take the big ride on your little north face avi. Nice skis!

Moderator:  chucK, mattp, Off_White, snoboy, To_The_Top 
© 2000-10 cascadeclimbers.com · Cookies · Board Rules · Mark all read ·