JasonG

"50 Years of Climbing!"

Dallas Kloke

Skagit Alpine Club Monthly Meeting

4/7/10, 7pm, Skagit Valley College

Roberts Hall, T-41

IMG_2120.JPG

Dallas on Sauk Mtn. - Winter 2010

As of 2010, Dallas Kloke has been climbing for exactly 50 years!! Over the last half century he has climbed all over, but most often locally in the Cascades and at Mt. Erie. Dallas has numerous first ascents to his name and has climbed just about everything- often multiple times. As anyone who has climbed with him knows, he has as much energy (or maybe more) as folks half his age. For this special program, Dallas will share some of the stories about how he got into climbing and what things were like in his early years. He'll bring some of his old climbing gear for folks to take a look at, and share plenty of stories and some "oldie goldie" slides. This might just be the SAC show of the year, don't miss it!!!

We will be meeting in Walter Roberts Hall - T-41. Dallas will go on after our regular business meeting at 7pm. Here is a link to a campus map: www.skagit.edu/images/color_mvCampus.pdf.

Edited by Heinrich

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

In 1997 some friends of mine and I climbed Liberty Bell via the Becky route. There was a party of two behind us. We summited and hung out on top for about a hour with the other party. The older of the two (the other party) was naming all the peaks in all directions. He knew every climb within eyeshot. He took our picture (of our party) and was very nice. He intruduced himself as Dallas Kloke, one of Fred Becky's climbing partners.

Very cool. I will never forget that moment.

It was really great, thanks Dallas!!

He spent a bunch of time showing old gear, talking about his motivations for climbing, showing some really cool photos, and sharing advice for up and coming climbers. You could tell Dallas spent a good bit of time reflecting on his half century of climbing, and really focused on what he wanted to say. I'm glad we packed the house for this one, he deserved it.

If anyone sees Dallas in the mountains, stop and talk with him awhile (like kevbone), you won't regret it!

Cheers,

Jason