Rock climbing near paradise/rainier?

brmarkey

does anyone know about rock climbing in mt rainier NP on the longmire/ashford/paradise side of the mountain. I am going to be working at paradise and would like to find somwhere I can go after work for a quick climb.

Edited by brmarkey

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the huge slabby wall that one sees while driving up the Stevens Canyon Road, about halfway between the entrance station and the Paradise road junction? It's on the far side of the canyon and way across the drainage at about the same level as the road. It looks like a real bitch to get to, but looks like you'd be rewarded with some clean, non-vegetated slab. Has anyone ever been to it/gotten on it?

Rock climbing near Paradise?

Apart from the many wonders of the Tatoosh Range, there is a small relatively solid cragging area near Reflection Lakes on the Stevens Canyon road. If you're driving to Paradise from Longmire, take the Stevens Canyon road and you'll find the little wall about a mile down on the left and just before the Lakes. You can lead or probably top-rope on it. It's a bolt-free zone but you might find an old-rusty piton here and there. It's also a fun hike or runfrom Paradise. Head down the trail toward Narada Falls and take a turn left to Mazama Ridge. Cross the ridge up and over and the trail should spit you out on the Stevens Canyon Road, maybe aa hundred yards east of the "wall". (Maybe 1 1/2 or 2 miles from Paradise.)

When the Paradise Loop road is open, driving down from Paradise, there is a rock buttress and a slab on the E side (left side) of the road (W side of Mazama Ridge). There were some TR bolts up top (placed years ago), but I understand the rock they were placed on...may have slipped and fallen down to the road. It's been awhile since I've seen anyone on the buttress.

The old retaining wall below the old Jackson Memorial Center was several yards long, and good for traversing. I don't remember if they tore that down with their recent work there.

For any climbing above the road...if there's cars below, I doubt the law enforcement rangers would allow it nowadays...due to the rockfall danger, so with the venue that I suggested...and Raindawg's, beware.

Your best bet is to check with the climbing rangers, and let them know you're working for GSI (?), and I imagine they'll make some reasonable suggestions that'll be cool with everyone.