Boots Question

EricMPeterson

I just received a pair of La Sportiva boots from ebay. They are great and I love them but they are a little small. I tried on other La Sportiva boots and they fit but these are a little short. They are fine when they are fully laced up but if I only do the half lace then I can feel the end of the boot. Im not sure if these boots are going to work for me. I have never climbed in the snow or done any front point steping. Will these cause a problem later? What should i do. Should I sell them on ebay and try to get another pair. I paid 200 dollars and they are new. Please give me some advice. I am going use these boots for Mt. Raineir, Mt. Shuksan ect. I hope this blog makes sense, its 3:50 AM. I also posted this question in the gear section. Im hopeing to get some feedback.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by EricMPeterson

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had more than my share of problems with boots-darn feet. I suggest getting out there and use them but take a back up pair(whatever) that you know work for you. Hike really steep rocky trail/off trail if your not close to other stuff-then decide if they are too small. I have had to switch out more than once to the known good pair before the new ones worked out. I have also stuffed them with soft balls, shoe irons, soaked with rubbing alcohol/water, even used heat(very carefully), beat them, etc. Shoe shops would not touch them; I'm guessing because if they ruined them somehow the customer would hold them liable. Good luck.

I learned the hard way to NEVER buy boots on-line. Trying to save some money as a student, I also bought my first pair of mountaineering/ice climbing boots on EBay, and decided to stick with it for a bit despite the not-so-comfortable fit. Screwed up both my toenails in one cold day of ice climbing. At least I had the lame excuse of not having a store nearby to try the same boot on (I was out in the beast coast at that time). If you're in Spokane, why don't you go try some boots at Mountain Gear? You can always buy the correct size on-line for a cheaper price, once you're sure about the fit. As Gene says below, better buy it from them directly. They'll happily order it for you.

IMHO, it is not worth compromising the fit for saving a few bucks. You don't want to be up on Rainier with a boot that's chewing up your leg. You may even try asking the Mountain Gear folks to match the on-line price - they might cut you a deal. In that case, it would be a lot more convenient to return or exchange it, assuming the need for the same arises after you try the boot on snow.

Good luck!

Edited by pup_on_the_mountain

If you try on the boots in a store, you really should buy the boots there. If we as a community do that kind of thing (use their services but not support them with $$) then they will go out of business and we all will suffer when we need to buy boots.

Luckily I already own too many boots so if you all screw it up..............

what about zappos or shoebuy or something that offers free return shipping?

zappos in particular -- I have bought maybe 3 different boots, in my two sizes 9/9.5 and they end up bumping the shipping to me to overnight so I get them literally the next day if I order before noon on Thursday, I'll have them friday. Then whatever doesn't fit is free return shipping. I've bought other items from zappos on account of the awesome shipping from them. similar to buying from rei due to the awesome return policy. sometimes you don't have to have the best or the cheapest to come out on top as the right choice.

just my 2cents

If you try on the boots in a store, you really should buy the boots there. If we as a community do that kind of thing (use their services but not support them with $$) then they will go out of business and we all will suffer when we need to buy boots.
Good point Gene. I stand corrected. I was too cheap to think about it when I was a student. Besides, the only "local" store I had around my place then was REI :grin: .

Nowadays, I buy a lot from my local store. Heck, I almost doubled their total sales towards the end of last year :shock: as I was replacing all my stolen gear.

Have you tried changing where the little moveable tongue-pad sits? It's just attached with velcro and you can definitely alter the fit over the foot with it... Although if it's truly too short of a boot, there won't be much you can.

FWIW, I bought Nepals as well and found them to be true-to-average-size.

Edited by nhluhr