Mt Stuart and vicinity - 7/31

kevino

My friend Matt and I got a couple pitches up our route before that hail/thunder/lightening storm made us bail and run from rock fall and lightening bolts. Just curious to hear about other people's stories...We heard people on the north ridge and know that some parties were heading for the west ridge...

The climbing

38765_581400242483_39203244_33653465_2760780_n.jpg

The storm

38099_581400272423_39203244_33653468_4764675_n.jpg

Pictures don't really do it justice...

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy weather yesterday for sure. Flash flood style. I work for a rafting company and on a float of 70 or so people, half decided to bail in the first couple of miles knowing that they would get no refund. I was thinking about the people who must be up in the stuart range epicing, glad it wasn't me. Pretty nice change from the 100 degree heat in the valley though.

That pic of the beginning of Razorback sure looks steep. We did it years ago, and I don't remember anything that steep. We hiked up to Cannon Mt. on Sat. and fled the summit seeing all the weather coming in from the west. We spotted folks on Prusik and a couple who had rapped off of Backbone on D-T. Glad everyone is okay.

Was it that nice, warm rain? I was up on the N. Cascades highway and actually enjoyed standing out in the warm rain the other night. It had been a while since I felt rain and it cleans the air out. I'm sure if I'd been actively climbing in it, I would have felt differently.

I drove out from Trinity after my wife and I bailed from trying Maude...it was some of the most heavy rain I have been in and I had to have my head out the window the whole time because my windshield wipers quit working. All the while there were large flashes and bangs all around me!

I never climbed anything that looked that steep on Razorback either.

Just read your old pm Kevin. I only got weekends open and am booked up for the next two.

It was not a nice warm rain, rather cold hail.

To those that were asking, that picture is of our first pitch, which was to the west of the actual ridge but was the best place to get off the snow and onto he rock.

Curt - nice job. We started wondering after we passed by, did you descend the west ridge or...?