New BD Alpine Hammer

dan_e

Okay so it's not new, just my old "spare" 40cm X-15 tool that I've converted into a winter piton beater!

Specs:

Length - 28 cm (top of head to bottom of spike)

Weight - 1.22 lbs

I am still w/o Alpine ice tools so it's another year with my beloved Nomics, still they are lacking hammers (thankfully) so I needed something for pounding in the occasional pin. Poor X-15 hammer, never even been used. As many of you may know, the old school way was to carry a spare tool in case you broke your pick on lead or dropped your tool. I've never done either (knocking hard on wood).

The mod (short story)...

I simply hacked off about 12 cm of the shaft, the hardest part was removing the spike. It's held to the aluminum shaft with aerospace grade adhesive and shit the stuff is tough. I had to heat it with a heat gun on high for several minutes before I could get it to budge. The only other difficult part was correctly drilling the new hole for the roll pin, not so easy without a drill press. The pick mod was simple, but again time consuming using only a hacksaw, dremel tool and file.

I am looking forward to using it soon, the hammer on this tool is bomber. Sure it's a tad heavy, but I think I can manage the extra pound. Hopefully next year I will have the new Cobras.

Completed "Alpine Hammer"

New_X-15_Alpine_Hammer.jpg

Remnants

x-15_shaft_remnants.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks other "dane", for a second I thought I had a clone!

I couldn't bring myself to modify the head to make it lighter, it's a work of art. Not sure if it's investment cast, but still quality design and quality metals.

Nice job!

I was hopeng for a new BD tool :) But this will certainly work just as well. A few miinutes on a grinding wheel could take off the extra weight and make it even easierto use.