Help on better boots to buy...

Desey

okay, I have to find a better option... my feet almost cracked last week on volcano climbs in Mexico. I was wearing Tecnica Altitude boots. Loved the athletic feel but just not warm enough.

pitty.gif I am stuck between the Salomon Thermics, the Vasque Ice 9000 or the Asolo AFS Guide boots. My foot is narrow especially in the heal. I have a pair of Koflach Degrees that I do not like. Please advise.... feel free to email me at "Desey@aol.com"

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Asolo AFS Guide boots are warm boots. I have a pair, and my feet have never been cold, even when sitting or standing around doing nothing. They come with a closed cell foam liner that doesn't soak up perspiration and hence maintains its insulating value. To get the same in the Scarpa Inverno, you have to pay extra for the special alveolite liner. Having said all that, the boot is rather clunky for climbing. It is just fine for big glacier slogs, however.

Desey,

It sounds like your looking for a warm boot to use on multiday volcano routes, and you have a narrow foot. I have a narrow foot and heel as well, and I have had trouble finding a warm plastic boot that my heel doesn't slide in.

The best fit I've found is in the Lowa Civetta. The Scarpa Alpha works well also. Forget about the Koflachs, they are a wide and boxy fit.

Otherwise, perhaps the Sportiva Trango Extreme if you are looking for a non-plastic boot.

What size foot do you have? I am trying to sell my Civettas because they are 1/2 size to big and mt heel slips. Otherwise they are kick ass boots.