Azure Lake route help

Denhajm

First post here. 15-17 years ago some friends and I made two attempts to get up to Azure Lake and both times we failed. Our basic approach the first time was to head up the Stetattle Creek trail, which promptly vanished, then after fighting thick brush and vine maple, we tried heading up the west flank of sourdough to get out of the brush. After one night out we turned around. 2nd attempt a year or two later we simply plunged ahead up the creek valley and nearly reached the base of the falls coming out of the lake on day two. Picture here ( https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/130097946 ).

There has got to be a proven route or two as I'm gaining interest for another assault on this challenging lake.

Does anyone have personal experience of a way in? 3rd hand information? Rumors?

Thanks!

Jason

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been there but some on here have started on the E Ridge of McMillan Spire as part of a Southern Pickets traverse.

I suspect the best way to go us to approach via the old road and then climber's trail for Goodell Creek to the South Pickets and then hop over the ridge S of Mac Spire to get to Azure. If you dig on the interwebs I bet you'll find someone who did that.

Coming up Stetattle valley would be truly masochistic and likely unnecessary.

Yep, that's it. As Rad said, follow the Terror Basin climber's path (very good tread) that leaves the old road in the Goodell Creek valley. Where the climber's path drops drops over a saddle (6240+) sidehill directly north to a pass (~6600+). Drop down and skier's right to gain a rib that will take you to Azure's outlet. Shouldn't take more than 8 hours from the road unless you are packing heavy.

I'm curious now, are there fish in it?

If this is the Jason I think it is, give me a call!