Sloan Peak Beta

Drew_Jones

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone seems to be implying that the glacier is pretty broken. There is a variation of the Corkscrew route that avoids the glacier all together by approaching from the back side. I descended this way after climbing the west face (chossy) and found it to be decent scrambling and pleasant travel. I believe I took the Bedal Basin trail (could have the name wrong) to under the west face. From there meadows and ridges lead up and around the peak to a small snowfield under ramps that intersect the Corkscrew Route not far from the glacier. Could be a good late season alternative, check Becky book for details.

Sorry, no real beta here, but... The other week I was scoping out the glacier from Glacier Peak (was considering this an alternative to GP). It looks pretty nasty - all broken up, it may be difficult to navigate. But then again I was viewing it from quite a ways away, so maybe these words are just meaningless drivel. Anyway, from what I remember the guide books say it can be tough in late season.

Do it and let us know how it goes.

Guess I'm kinda slow on posting. Didn't get a chance to see A's post above before I finished this. Whatever the true conditions, have fun.

[This message has been edited by Jman (edited 10-05-2001).]

Didn't summit. We underestimated the approach time and were looking at whiteout conditions on the glacier. On the bright side, we did get to whack lots of wet bush. Found a great bivy spot near the north ridge and watched the sky totally clear up. Woke up to frost everywhere, then made a quick descent in light rain.

Drew