• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
Jon H

Guidebook for Canadian Rockies

Heading up to the Canadian Rockies/Canmore area later this winter for my first visit to the area. Objectives are long alpine routes up to WI5/M7. And Polar Circus. Just because.

Is the new Brent Peters book adequate? Should I try and find a (relatively) fairly priced Josephson 4th ed?

Thanks all!

I have Brent Peter's book and like it, but it sticks to mostly classic waterfalls. There are a few mixed routes but mostly just a small mention of single pitch stuff right near a classic waterfall line. If you want to do alpine mixed climbs definitely look for Joe's book. It is WAY more comprehensive! Good luck finding a copy!

Only a handful of alpine climbs are described in Josephson's book. I do not know how do you define "alpine", but probably most of actual alpine climbs will be described in "Selected Alpine Climbs in the Canadian Rockies" by Sean Doughtery. Just FYI, climbs on something like Stanley Glacier Headwall or Trophy wall are nor really alpine. Doing real alpine routes in winter in Canadian Rockies is a whole new level of commitment for most (bring some fresh diapers).

There is also Sean Isac's Mix Climb book.