Quote of the day

shuksan

catbird...I'm not talking about the working guy in the lab. He's straight-up.

And tying up w/ the other threads...Interesting that on the way home, I heard another NPR "anti-war" type story, mattp. And also, did ya catch NBC news? I'd call it fairly critical and questioning of Bush's Iraq and Korea pos'ns. Good night, all!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought perhaps the thread was also an indictment of the global warming. There are lots of people who still refuse to believe it exists. There used to be people who didn't believe that the ozone hole existed until they measured it. My Physical Chemistry Prof was F. Sherwood Rowland who discovered the effects of chlorofluorcarbons on ozone. He predicted the ozone loss. He showed which chemicals were responsible. They went to Antarctica and measured increased UV light. They even measured increases in Tasmania, where there are people.

So now there are those who are in denial about global warming because the solution is so unpalatable. The solution is to burn less fossile fuel, but that means we would have to sacrifice, and that is not the American way. Oh well, we don't need Florida and Louisiana anyway do we? But we climbers know it's real. All we have to do is look at the receding glaciers. Imagine Kilimanjaro without its white mantle. Imagine Glacier Peak without glaciers.

Pundits, politicians and the press have argued that global warming will bring disaster to the world, but there are good reasons to believe that if that occured, we'd dig it. Where do retirees go when they are free to move? Certainly not to Duluth. People like warmth. When weather reporters on TV say, "it will be a great day," they usually mean that it'll be warmer than normal. Ah, nothing like Seattle at 72 degrees and sunny in January.